HybridZ

Wide Ratio vs Narrow Ratio identification?

rayaapp2

I searched a bit and came up empty handed.

I have noticed that some 5spds have the speedo cog retainer tab mounted on top and some have the tab mounted on the bottom. Im hoping this is an indication of the years they may have come from. I have 4 5spds right now and Im trying to figure out which ones I can let go of and which ones I should keep as spares for my current cars.

Any insight? Maybe there is another way to figure out which is which?

Thanks guys

Ray

Ray,

The ones with the tab on top are likely 280Z 5-speeds and the ones with the tab below (6 o'clock) are the ZX units. There are other clues like the exhaust hanger ears underneath the shifter (2 means 280Z), the shifter bushings (ZX shifter has big, yellow plastic insert), and fill plugs (right side is late ZX, AFAIK).

I have a 76 4 speed, 78 5 speed, and 80 and 83 5 speeds and they all have the fill plug on the right. The exhaust hanger ears and the speedo hold down screw are the easiest indicators and what Leon said fits all of mine.

If you really want to get detailed you can measure the ratio of 5th gear, it was different for 80 versus 81-83.

OK - why is it they call the "close ratio" box the one that has a taller 5th gear? I mean 1.00 to .864 is 'closer' than 1.00 to .754 - yet the .754 box is called close ratio, when in truth - the .864 box has a 'closer' 5th gear ratio than the ZX box. I just can't wrap my hands around this one. I guess it must be measured from 1st gear through 5th???

Because, in road racing the S30, 1st and 5th gears are rarely used so the focus is on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gaps. And the real focus is on the gap between 2nd and 3rd. The Holy Grail for people road racing the 240Z is the Nissan Comp Option 3 ultra close ratio direct drive box: 2.192, 1.601, 1.470, 1.138, 1.000.

You might want to think about a Road Atlanta rear gear for your car. Find another R200 with a 15% higher (lower numerically) gear so you don't use 5th at all. Or go the other direction and fit a 20% lower (higher numerically) gear so you are farther up the rpm band when you up shift to 5th. I use the rear gear to tune the shifting for the track I'm at. I used to have 4:11, 4:36, and a 4:64 built up R180s in the trailer. Its expensive but I got all that money back when I sold them after parting the race car out.