I've a cam

300/300 duration

valve lift 0.453" inlet

valve lift 0.451 exhaust

Timing inlet open 43btdc closes 77abdc

exhaust open 77 bbdc

closes 43 atdc

Full lift 107 deg atdc inlet btdc exhaust

Am I right in thinking that the lift is a little low? Reading the specs it reads like it should be a nice 4-7000rpm grid, or have I missed something!?

Kind of hard to tell what the true duration is unless you give the openings/closings at 0.050" lift, as ramp up on the lobes can vary a lot. I am assuming your duration numbers are based on the cam lift alone, and look typical to what you read, 4k-7k rpm. Virtually identical to the cam I am installing/dialing right now.

This is a cam that when measured with conventional 0.050" lift specs is really at most a 275 duration. More likely 260. That coincides with the lift.

If you look at Isky's site, they will show you both gross duration and duration at 0.050" valve lift.Schneider does this as well I believe.

There is no reason to run 300 duration with a small lift like that.

The cam I am running is advertised at .480" lift, 280* duration...but at 0.050" lift it's only 232* duration, and it's only .455" lift. It's fine for driving daily, but I feel like my horsepower:fuel milage parity is a little off. Wide powerband, but pretty much NO power under 1800RPM, pulls pretty good till the redline at 7200 though. Call it 3-7K.

I already think i'll have to get something a little lumpier. I'm running a 4.44 subaru plated lsd so no having much push low down isn't an issue. its not a daily driver either. Ideally i'd like something that came on about 3500ish rpm and pulled nice to 6800. As its a fun/toy car I do want a fun feeling engine.

Long deg duration low lift cams rev well , and last well as the speed on the rocker is much slower .But dont make the same torque and power as the high lift race cams we use, having close to 600th and 314d @ 50 will be 260+ on 106c or 108 .... this type of cam makes power from 4300 and makes peak torque at 5500 and peak power at 7500 , this is in a L28 with 89mm bore and 3, 45,48 carbs , now when i say it makes power from 4300 i mean thats when its on the cam ,but they make plenty before this and are fun to drive ,

post-26847-044118100 1348915929_thumb.jpg ,post-26847-016676700 1348915987_thumb.jpg

Edited by PMC raceengines

I just want a lively feeling engine, i'm staying at 2.4 +1mm. 40mm carbs, lightened/balanced bottom end and flywheel.

What do you think might suit? My current cam?

I really think you'd benefit from some more lift, I have a similar-ish spec engine to yours in my Z and I've got a cam with 297 deg. duration and 490" lift, drives well and pulls hard from approx. 4200rpm to the redline.......and sometimes slightly above it

Only real way to know if your current cam is sufficient is too build the engine with it and see if you like it, just make sure when you do your dummy build/mock up you have enough piston to valve clearance to go to a bigger cam without carrying out any further mods, if you don't like it :)

I think this is what I want. Just a little more lift..

Brand Isky Racing Cams

Manufacturer's Part Number 718196

Part Type Camshafts

Product Line Isky Solid Flat Tappet Camshafts

Summit Racing Part Number ISK-718196

Cam Style Mechanical flat tappet

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift 264

Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift 264

Duration at 050 inch Lift 264 int./264 exh.

Advertised Intake Duration 306

Advertised Exhaust Duration 306

Advertised Duration 306 int./306 exh.

Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.530 in.

Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.530 in.

Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.530 int./0.530 exh.

Intake Valve Lash 0.010 in.

Exhaust Valve Lash 0.010 in.

Computer-Controlled Compatible No

Grind Number Z-196

Valve Springs Required Yes

Camshaft Manufacturers Description Fits the Datsun 280-Z 2,800cc engine. Competition camshaft, thicker valve lash caps ISK-LC-263 required.

Quantity Sold individually.

Notes Rev lube included.