HybridZ

TURBO 350 OR 700R4

I burnt up my new 700r4 because i didnt know what i was doing (lock up switch and kick down cable). I am so disgusted with the 700 that i think that i should go back with a turbo 350. I had a th350 with a fresh rebuild but when my house flooded so did the tranny,thats whan i decided to go overdrive. I think that the 700 would be nice for the long cruise but it is more cantankerous and hard to set up. either way I got 350 miles out of the 700 and muddy water out of the 350.... which one should i rebuild?.

I have a buddy that will sell me his TCI

th350 and a 2500 stall for 300 bucks...

What do you think???

signed MR P/O'ed

I have a 700R4 in my GMC that I love. It has been abused hard, even done some drag racing in it and it hauls a**! The trans shifts so positive that it used to make my old CD player skip, long before I swapped to a changer.. I like them, they are economical and if you get the right parts to with it, and hook it up right, they are bullet proof! QAlmost put one in my Z when I was sorting out the T56!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

HOW DO I MAKE IT WORK?... I hooked up a vaccuum switch and re adjusted the cable

and it still doest shift right. It has 350

miles on it and the fluid came out full of

clutch material (oil looked black)... when you manualy shift from 1-2 it takes a couple of seconds for it to actually shift. I tried hooking the lock up switch to work, I made a switch that works off of the brake pedal that is supposed to unlock the converter

when you touch the brakes, but it kept burning fuses .. I am fixin to go to bed

but i will look for you tommorow..

Late,

Myron

Guest Anonymous

MYRON, THIS IS JACK, what year is your 700r4, what vacuum line are you talking about hooking up, if that tranny stays locked up in low gear it will kill it in about two hundred miles, you need a set of line guages and check the line pressure of that tranny, what is it specially doing and when. jack

quote:

Originally posted by MYRON:

HOW DO I MAKE IT WORK?... I hooked up a vaccuum switch and re adjusted the cable

clutch material (oil looked black)... when you manualy shift from 1-2 it takes a couple of seconds for it to actually shift. I tried hooking the lock up switch to work, I made a switch that works off of the brake pedal that is supposed to unlock the converter

Late,

Myron

Guest Anonymous

Speaking of the 700R4, does anyone know the correct way to adjust the TV cable on these things or at least a starting point to keep from blowing it it?

I was told by a tranny shop to set the cable with 1/8' play at full open throttle, sound right?

------------------

Dan, 78 280Z, 383FI, 700R4 allmost ready!

http://members.home.net/dporter1/

• 4 years later...

It has been my experience that the throttle valve should be all the way in and flush with its bushing when the cable is at the wide open position. The only way to set this up is to remove the pan and visually adjust the cable. I have never bothered with the converter lock because the trans works just fine without it. The 700R4 is a terrific trans provided you are working with a 1987 or newer 4L60. Not to be confused with the 4L60E.

http://www.tvmadeez.com/

helped me a little when i had a 700r4. i switched to the th350 because it's easier, cheaper to rebuild, you can get a built one for about the same price as a stock 700r4, and i don't need overdrive with 3.54 gears. i also believe a 700r4 will never match up to a th350, besides the overdrive feature, i found mine useless.

-steven m.

• 4 years later...

Late,

Myron

Myron,

My transmission man tells me to get new kick down cable, take pan off transmission, and hook up cable. Put pan back on. Run cable up to bracket and carburetor, if you're running a carburetor. The cable he showed me--you mash the pedal all the way to the floor and then let off. It will adjust and lock there. 700R transmissions are as good as 350 or any other. I especially like the overdrive. Good luck!

Don

Myron,

My transmission man tells me to get new kick down cable, take pan off transmission, and hook up cable. Put pan back on. Run cable up to bracket and carburetor, if you're running a carburetor. The cable he showed me--you mash the pedal all the way to the floor and then let off. It will adjust and lock there. 700R transmissions are as good as 350 or any other. I especially like the overdrive. Good luck!

Don

zcars: this thread is nine years old, was brought back from the dead in 2004 and again in 2009. I don't even think Myron comes on this site anymore, i think he has solved his issue by now.

Speaking of the 700R4, does anyone know the correct way to adjust the TV cable on these things or at least a starting point to keep from blowing it it?

I was told by a tranny shop to set the cable with 1/8' play at full open throttle, sound right?

------------------

Dan, 78 280Z, 383FI, 700R4 allmost ready!

http://members.home.net/dporter1/

link should help

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=617