HybridZ

MSII Extra serial 321. Have LC-1 Noise issues and settings in error help!

motomanmike

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have turned it off.  I don't see the LED come on for enrichment unless i'm at a dead idle and floor it really fast. Driving it normal, even spirited I don't ever see it come one unless i go from one position in throttle to full throttle very fast and even then it doesn't spike the pulse width or anything on the data log.  I had it on testing during that datalog just playing. I really was trying everything I could think of that day. The weather was decent and I played around for a good 2 hours trying various settings. EGO has always been off.  Tried with accel enrich on, different settings, and off.  Played with voltage correction which did have the most affect on how it felt but still never got it smooth. Its been fun.  Skirkland are you using a trigger wheel, stock cas wheel or a DIY wheel to get your rpm signal? Reason I ask because you can't physically see is actual engine timing (i know you experienced issues with timing not following tunerstudio). Timing jumping around would cause what I'm seeing/feeling but i recall yours being more locked at one degree or the other right?

The car I was having that problem with has the 83 vr distributor. I don't understand how you have accel enrich turned off. It should either be using map or tps or a combination of the two. If you set it to 0 then it uses the map sensor. Are you saying you have 0 for the value in percent tps driven?

The car I was having that problem with has the 83 vr distributor. I don't understand how you have accel enrich turned off. It should either be using map or tps or a combination of the two. If you set it to 0 then it uses the map sensor. Are you saying you have 0 for the value in percent tps driven?

To turn it "off" he probably just has the MAP-dot and/or TPS-dot thresholds set high enough that they don't activate.

Mike, now I understand what you mean by your VE analyze stuff, thanks for the clarification.

As far as accel enrichment being off.  900% threshold means, the throttle position has to change 900% from its current position in order to trigger accel enrichment.  With an enrichment of .01ms it does not really affect the pulse width of the injectors even if it does trigger it wouldn't really affect it.  In addition typically when I feel the stumble, I see a leaner reading, if the enrichment was activating i would think i'd see the opposite.    It is 100% TPS driven, however you have to really like I said floor the thing from dead idle to full throttle before it will even kick on.  I'm not seeing any glitches on TPS and on data logs I never see the "active filter" display showing enrichment was triggered. My TPS is stable doesn't flutter or have any needle bouncing.

well,  that is a good question actually.  I noticed MAT correction was coming on at points in time.  I haven't researched MAT correction enough to fully understand what I should do with it. MAT temps i've never seen anything over 120.  I understand it changes timing if MAT temps get too high or whatever you want to set it at but that was for me to get it to stop turning on.  I could see it on a datalog originally, setting it to that i've never seen it come on now as of yet.

If you don't want it to turn on, why not set it to zero instead of 7? I'm sure there is some merit to using it, especially on those scorching hot summer days, but I'm not the guy who can help get the settings right. MS1-extra, which I'm using, doesn't even have that functionality.

pulled plugs and did compression test today.  All cylinders between 127-131 psi across the board.  1-2-3 plugs look good 4 is black, 5 good, 6 is black.  so 4 and 6 are dark, not sure what it is. #6 was a dark oily plug but compression was better than 5 which was the nice chocolate milk colored plug.  Injectors are here but I have not installed them yet.  I'm waiting on a regulator and gauge and am going to.  I drove it a bit today and am so annoyed with the way it runs.  Its crying for more work. Still have that misfire stutter.  Put new plugs in it, same response. Going to re adjust the valves and re do compression tests but probably not today.

Have you tried pulling plug wires with it idling to see if you can notice any change in idle quality? Since #6 was oily, you may not be getting good combustion on that cylinder. Also, having better compression on #6 could be a result of having some oil in that cylinder, helping to seal your rings. You may have some leaky valve seals. Perhaps a leakdown test would be a good thing to do.

Strange thing is idle quality does change pulling the plug wires on every cylinder.  Idle quality also changes on every cylinder pulling the injector plugs.  So they are firing, both injectors and plugs, just not right I guess.  I'm really afraid this is going to turn into many many more hours of wrench time.  I'm going to try to get the fittings for a leak down test from work.  Maybe try it this weekend.

It seems like it's always something with these old beasts. I guess that's what makes it kind of fun, but sometimes I kick myself for getting involved in such a big and overwhelming project of turning an old rusty Z into a reliable track day car. I could have bought an old Miata three years ago and had it ready for the track in less than a month!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alSXDNewVQ8

This is what fuel pressure looks like. I'm not sure it should fluctuate that much. FP might be set a little high but I wanted to see what it ran like. At least I can see what it's doing now.

edited to fix messed up link. Sorry about that I did it on my phone in the shop

Edited by motomanmike

I can put an end to a 5 month long thread.  This car is now as smooth as a normal vehicle. Starts great, Idles great. It pulls hard in all RPM ranges and totally rips on top end.  We put in the high impedence injectors. Still had a miss.  So I put in the DIY trigger wheel.  Set it to a fixed 20 degrees and tuned my VE's.  Another key thing was getting a giga-wire brand usb to serial adapter. It stays online all the time.  Car runs smooth from low grumpy lugs  WOT all the way up WOT pulls.  I'm blown away how good it runs and needless to say am VERY relieved.  It had to be the spark timing/ trigger angles. I emphasize trigger angles because it really came down to that trigger wheel and timing. Very happy I can focus on creature comforts and maintenance for awhile now.  Thanks for everyone's input and help.

Edited by motomanmike

I sure hope so.  This thing is SICK now.  Love it.  Runs smooth as a car you'd buy on a lot.  Started right up this morning without touching the pedal.  Warmed up nice and drove to work.  I'm amazed.  I knew these MS boxes could run this way. No jitter not a stumble one.  Ready to enjoy the summer now.