HybridZ

Transmission swap, auto to 5sp

BlueStag

Guys,

Since I got my 4sp auto working properly, i.e. holding shift under full throttle to 5k rpm, I have been thinking how much more fun I'd be having with a 5sp.

All in my Triumph Stag which has a Datsun drivetrain in it.

Any comments on the difficulty of such a swap would be appreciated.   I'm trying to remember if the drive shaft is the same......

If I remember correctly the driveshaft is in fact different.  Could be wrong though.  Aside from that, shouldn't be too difficult.  Replace the flex plate and torque converter with a flywheel and clutch, add a "second brake pedal" and the hydraulics to go along with it, pop in the 5 speed tranny, and don't forget to use that "second brake pedal" when shifting!  

I'm wrapping up that very same swap in my car, it's VERY straight forward!  My biggest issue was/is getting the clutch pedal in there.  I was hoping to be able to do it with the pedal box in the car, but it looks like I'll be unbolting the whole pedal  box instead.  Just no room to get the bolt in there.  Either way, should make for an interesting days work, and 100% positive it will be worth it!  DO IT  :)

FWIW, I'm using the same driveshaft.

Once you source the pedals and master cylinder for the Stag, the rest will be all Datsun. You will obviously need a custom line from the clutch master cylinder to the slave cylinder.

Your pedals will be the hard part, the rest is on the level of swapping a clutch.

Measure your driveshaft and post here. There is no telling what is in your car. Could be early, late or custom.

Note: it can be less messy if you drain the manual trans before install, then fill it. Or get a tail shaft plug.

Edited by ctc

One issue that might not be obvious is that I mounted my L6 all the way back against the firewall practically.    Which created a conflict between the SU air cleaner box and the brake master.

I was forced to mount the brake pedal box and the brake master about an 1 1/2" to the left of stock, meaning that a clutch cylinder will be nearly impossible to fit and the pedal as well....

The Datsun SU aircleaner is a very effective unit with good air horns and a good cold air intake that fits right against my front bulk head, in which I have cut a good air hole.

I gotta figure out how to fit a clutch master cylinder.   I'd like to move the box back to where it belongs, but I don't know how I'll be able to remove the air cleaner....

There are other ways of going about it.  Personally, I will be using a 4bbl set up on my L28 and will be using a plenum on that with tubing going to the cowl area which will hold a cone filter.  Up to you on what you want to do of course, but this system seemed to be the best option for my personal requirements.  Simply putting small filters over the SU's and a heat shield under them would yield plenty good results as well. Either way would clear up the space for the clutch master, I'd think.  Does that mean you have a custom shortened driveshaft then?  

Finding a place to mount the pedal and brake MC is going to be the hardest part. A custom clutch line can be made fairly easily (Luky's Hardware on Burbank Blvd can make a custom line with the fittings you need) and making a custom driveshaft is simple too, there is a driveshaft shop in North Hollywood off of Chandler (there is a better one that TonyD knows of somewhere in LA). Just bring the old driveshaft for the part that matches with your diff, and bring the 5 speed driveshaft and measure out how much you need taken off (or added). You will 99.999% need a custom length driveshaft unless you know you are using a specific datsun driveshaft.

Some very thorough pictures from multiple angels of your engine bay firewall would help us help you plan where the clutch MC should be placed. I wouldn't doubt you may need to make a custom pedal box for it though with your description. 

There are other ways of going about it.  Personally, I will be using a 4bbl set up on my L28 and will be using a plenum on that with tubing going to the cowl area which will hold a cone filter.  Up to you on what you want to do of course, but this system seemed to be the best option for my personal requirements.  Simply putting small filters over the SU's and a heat shield under them would yield plenty good results as well. Either way would clear up the space for the clutch master, I'd think.  Does that mean you have a custom shortened driveshaft then?  

The driveshaft is custom indeed, as it is fitted not to a Datsun, but to a Triumph.

Finding a place to mount the pedal and brake MC is going to be the hardest part. A custom clutch line can be made fairly easily (Luky's Hardware on Burbank Blvd can make a custom line with the fittings you need) and making a custom driveshaft is simple too, there is a driveshaft shop in North Hollywood off of Chandler (there is a better one that TonyD knows of somewhere in LA). Just bring the old driveshaft for the part that matches with your diff, and bring the 5 speed driveshaft and measure out how much you need taken off (or added). You will 99.999% need a custom length driveshaft unless you know you are using a specific datsun driveshaft.

Some very thorough pictures from multiple angels of your engine bay firewall would help us help you plan where the clutch MC should be placed. I wouldn't doubt you may need to make a custom pedal box for it though with your description. 

Picked up some very rare fittings at Luky's a while back, and the driveshaft place that you mentioned has made me two driveshafts: one to tie the Datsun engine/trans to the Triumph diffy, and the second to tie the engine to a new Datsun diffy a year later.

I think a remote reservoir might help. Got a lead on one that would perform well with a Dutsun Slave cylinder?

Maybe something like this. Don't know the Datsun bore diameter off hand, but should not be hard to find.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection3.asp?utm_expid=10520551-7&Product=3507&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pegasusautoracing.com%2Fgroup.asp%3FGroupID%3DMCTILT

I'm still convinced the easiest way is a custom pedal box just for your clutch. But I'm the kind of guy that doesn't like putting more holes into the firewall. I don't remember how much space you had in the foot area though. 

Just curious, but do you ever make it out the cars and coffee in Irvine? I feel like you would enjoy it. Very relaxed environment and I'm sure your triumph would fit in well.

I just sourced the correct pedals for a manual arrangement on a stock Stag, although I still need to resolve the conflict between the brake master cylinder and the air cleaner.

At a crazy price, too.   They are rarer then hens' teeth.   $25 for the pair.

Edited by BlueStag