HybridZ

72 240z has a very hard time starting in cold weather

i live around pittsburgh PA and it gets very cold in the winter.i went to start my Z a couple days ago and it has a really really hard time starting.i have to crank over and over while adding throttle for about 5 mins before it actually starts up,and once it finally starts up it runs really rough until the engine is warm.also if i drive it a couple minutes after i start it up it doesnt want to accelerate too well.if i lightly hold the gas it will be okay, but if i go to give it gas it starts to bog down until i release the gas pedal to where it was.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much

what exactly does adjusting the valves do?, and ive only had my 240 for about a week, im much more used to my 280z.ive never worked on carbd motors, it is completely new to me even though it looks alot more basic.and i going to try cleaning my carbs and hope that works.i wasnt sure if the 240 has a cold start valve or an air regulator that i should check.

It does not matter whether carb or fuel injection. Valve adjustment helps both of the cars to turn cam smoother.

For SU carb, check the entrance of air intake area to adjust how much airflow comes in.

Edited by tamo3

Go here and buy the video "Just SUs" http://www.ztherapy.com/

It will teach you everything you need to know about tuning and maintaining SU carbs. Check out the 240Z - 280Z tuning video as well.

I suspect that some simple tuning and/or maintenance on your carbs will resolve your problems.  Possibly it is just a mixture or choke adjustment. See the video for instructions.

Before I rebuilt my SUs I used to shoot some starting fluid (Ether) into the air intake on cold mornings.

Also, do a Google search on tuning SU carbs.

Before you try adjusting valves, check that the mixture is set right and that the choke is working. Do a Google search for SU mixture adjustment (bottom of each carb).  You should get a lot of hits. Many of the Z car clubs have published SU carb tuning procedures. They are very simple once you learn how they work.

While you are learning about the SU carbs you might as well do a tune up. Buy a Haines 240Z repair manual it tells how to do most of the tune up steps.

Spend some time looking at the Z Therapy website.