HybridZ

DOOKIES 280ZX

skirkland1980

I saw this video of an extremely quick 280zx while surfing through youtube. A member of this forum had said that it had an RB26 engine which inspired me to dig a little. DOOKIES appears to be an automotive shop in Japan. They do have a website and blog but it's in Japanese. This intake manifold is especially intriguing. It looks like a modified carb manifold. Also the turbo location and the fact that it appears to be a USDM model. Does anyone know more about this car?

http://dookies.jp/concept/concept05.htm

Intake manifold is just a big plenum welded to what looks like a short amout of the standard intake manifold flange/runners, throttle body looks like a VH45 one. RIPS have made at least two similar looking plenums (based on RB plenums) for L series powered cars in NZ. It's a big turbo, T88H-34D, they probably did what they have to do to fit it in. Makes 810PS and weights 1280Kgs according to that website.

I've thought about using an aftermarket 1JZ/2JZ plenum on an L series before, I've seen cars with RB26 plenums upside down too but they take a big of modifying because of the downwards angle of the inlet pipe, when they are on an L series it points upwards.

3f_1_zps29b3477d.jpg

usedpartskmc-img600x450-1098537714l20-bs

t_art1104-img600x450-1113281398130z-9_zp

pfsinga-img600x450-1116415036file0000_zp

hydy8614-img600x450-111795153405060512ds

DSCF2431.jpg

Edited by djz

I believe there were questions about the efficacy of such a manifold arrangement. Perhaps the skeptics can be directed to that site for edification...

Manifolds similarly configured available from a member here. See group buy forum.

Isn't it kinda funny that I don't doubt the power claims, but I do doubt the weight claim?

My slick top was well under 2700lbs with both bumpers. I can't see how they're 150+ lbs more than my car considering they've removed both bumpers, carpet, padding, etc. Even with a giant turbo, even with the cage, even if he's got a Z32 trans...

If I were building a serious street/strip S130 I'd be shooting for 2600lbs or less, even with huge tires and full glass.

I saw this video of an extremely quick 280zx while surfing through youtube. A member of this forum had said that it had an RB26 engine which inspired me to dig a little. DOOKIES appears to be an automotive shop in Japan. They do have a website and blog but it's in Japanese. This intake manifold is especially intriguing. It looks like a modified carb manifold. Also the turbo location and the fact that it appears to be a USDM model. Does anyone know more about this car?

http://dookies.jp/concept/concept05.htm

I never doubted the capabilities of what a L28 can do, but with old videos I have seen of this car in the past years on YouTube every old video had RB26 on the description could it of been wrong?  Most certainly!  I just went with what I have seen in the past but didn't mind reading the description in this video.  Like I said on YT thanks for the correction.  Now that I looked at the website that's the same engine I have saved on my computer.

Edited by 280zx@541