HybridZ

California Smog Check STAR Program

johnc

Starting yesterday California implemented its STAR smog check program.  It was specifically created to address the 60 percent failure rate of model year 1976 through 1995 vehicles.  From 2003 through 2006 BAR conducted roadside tests of vehciles within those model years and compared the test results with the smog check resutls.  They found that within 30 to 180 days after the bi-annual smog check 60% of those mdel year vehicles failed the roadside smog test.  These results indicated to BAR that the smog tests were being falsified and/or the smog control systems on the vehicles were tampered with after testing.  From now on any gross polluter and all "directed" vehciles must be tested at STAR compliant smog testing facilities. 

You can expect that a great many model year 1976 through 1995 vehvicles will be specifically directed to a STAR compliant facility.  There will be an increased focus on vehicle types that have shown the highest failure rates:

Ford Mustang

Chevrolet Camaro

Honda Civic

BMW 3 series.

Nissan 240SX

Porsche 911

Nissan 300ZX

Toyota Supra

Toyota Celica

...and more.

Its kind of a nightmare for techs and shop owners alike. Some techs will become un-employable due to star scores over stupid shit(Im not speaking of clean piping) while shops suffer due to a lack of qualified techs. Its obviously not impossible to keep a good score or bring your score back up, but Ive caught myself making a few stupid mistakes. Rather than making the testing system a no brainer for the tech they just ding the tech and shop. BAR knows which functional checks are required and what the specs should be. They built the database up and thats exactly how the techs are scored using deviations. A great example being: the system automatically knows that some of the newer vehicles cannot be OBD2 tested because of CAN compatibility and yet the system will still ask you on some and if you miss the pins on the OBD2 connector your screwed and there is no backup feature without continuing the test as a fail and running through the whole test again which costs for each dial out and its a deviation the tech will be dinged on. Im hearing that as a tech I can also be 'dinged' for not scanning in the renewal form, and just typing in the vin code manually. I did something like 13 smogs on Monday and wouldnt you know it all of them forgot their renewal form, past reg with bar code, or they were vehicles entering the state as new registration. So that doesnt make much sense, but I need to confirm this hearsay with my local BAR rep.. That's just 2 examples. All the functional checks are hazardous to the tech. Which vehicles are exempt from EVAP testing due to inaccessibility? That list is also UN-available and its a guessing game whether or not a particular vehicle must have that check. Its really setup to put the responsibility on the techs/shops from my veiw point. A strategy/responsibility that techs nor shops really get paid well enough for. Put it this way. The slap on the wrist BAR can enforce on a tech or shop can be greater than several months income for either! If that was setup to catch clean piping it makes sense, but not for some of the mistakes Im seeing BAR come down on. Gollum knows what Im talking about with his buddy and a particular diesel smog that ended up in a lost license to forfeit the fines. Yes turn in your license and potentially give up your job over a simple mistake or pay an outlandish fine are the options for someone. The state no longer offers update courses either so there is no bi-annual update for techs wanting to stay current with procedures. There are private courses available which can help if you pick the right one, but no state certified program that will keep you on course.

This new program could have been implemented in ways to resolve the issues they were finding and it just isnt.

The smog program is now officially a monster out of control. These roadside tests were preformed mainly in the greater Sacramento area and Southern California. I know several of the techs and the superiors that were responsible for carrying out and reporting those tests back to ARB.

Let me put it this way. 2012/2013 Star Program legislation effectively made BAR an Enforcement ONLY department. Its a way to cut costs for that department while bringing in revenue for the state under enforcement actions. Bottom Line.

The Japanese inspection system was a scheme to insure garages revenue, but the emissions component and final testing was all done at state-run facilities. You went through and it was pass-fail. The biggest thing most people there didn't realize was you could run your car through on your own! (Can't do that here...) and you were only out the testing fee (small potatoes compared to the garage-inspection price close to $1,000!) but you received a list of non-compliant things, went home, fixed them, and came back the next day to retest. Burned two days of your life...but saved $$$.

I watched these roadside tests being performed. It's like John C said: It's coming home to roost. People getting their cars through and then altering them afterwards are getting caught. All those things that people said they would never do.

There are ways to do this far more efficiently, but as Ray says, it's about raising revenues more than anything else at this point. Sure 'clean air' is the stated goal.... But the studies were done showing that it was simply cheaper to give everyone who fails a new car and you get cleaner air and lower overall costs! Perpetuation of Bureaucracy, big part of it.

Hey CA: Declare Bankruptcy, repudiate the EPA's fines and sanctions, and roll on with a sane system like BAR90. I digress...

Oh, another thing that is now STATE CONTROLLED is the TESTING PORTION of your Driving Schools (Online, at least.) If ANYBODY out there has a pending online driver's school from 2012 (or gets one after 1 January 2013) the provider of the course no longer controls the testing. That means no more 'pass or don't pay' --- you still take the same test as you would have before, it's the private provider's test, but the STATE controls  the testing. One shot, pass/fail. No more taking the test over and over till you pass, then submitting it to the DMV!

Also if you have traffic school from 2012, YOU HAVE UNTIL JANUARY 31 2013 TO COMPLETE IT REGARDLESS!!!!

I just did mine for the BS Mystery Ticket I never received....and this was the new surprise waiting for me when I blew through the course in a couple of hours!

May want to make this another topic all it's own!

People getting their cars through and then altering them afterwards are getting caught. All those things that people said they would never do.

In most cases that is exactly what happened. There was one other major contribution to the 30day after roadside checks that was prevalent. Repair facilities failing to accurately diagnose and/or sell the repair of catalysts issues! I cannot tell you how many smogs I did in Sacramento(under test only) where someone with an older vehicle came in and failed, left and came back with a brand new cat from a local muffler shop. It doesn't take 30 days for a cat to have a meltdown when the original problem has not been addressed. I dont believe the Star program even addresses that skew! At the time all I could do was check the catalyst for the CARB serial number and leave a detailed note on the work order hopefully keeping my license and shop clear of any potential issues with BAR.

You want to know what is sad. Years ago other nations looked to Ca as an example of how to do programs like Smog Check.

Now, They DO NOT!

Example something like 15 years ago the Chinese government sent a group of their own over to check out our smog system through CARB. Now other states and countries are looking other places or taking the lead.

Personally I believe simplified inspections would go a long way. Oregon and a few eastern states have simplified inspections that are effective and fit the budget. Dont get me wrong, Im all for clean air or I wouldnt be a smog tech. I only own 1 vehicle that I know is a dirty bastard, and its that way because I bought it that way and havent gotten around to making it my own. Other than that one all my vehicles have original emissions equipment or are running cleaner than the original standards for that vehicle and verified.

Yup I feel ya. I had a couple dings last quater for STAR :banghead: . I dont really have much issues with functional check because we recently had the machine updated ( :( expensive). But since the program had been put underway I really have to constantly be in my A game and spend more time doing extra things to keep me from getting dings such as scanning prior to inspections.  the ca smog check website has all categories for deviations.

• Like 1