HybridZ

nissan RB motor info

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hey guys im looking for sites with info on nissan RB motors i.e power outputs for different models parts and trans interchangability (is that even a word?)and other gear about em if anyones got any good links or addresses they can post i'd appreciate it

Cheers!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest lambsr

I can give you a run-down of the stock outputs of the RB2x turbo models if that's what you want.

All the RB's use the same bellhousing bolt pattern, so box-swapping is pretty easy.

All the RB's use the same water pump and oil filter. The DOHC models use the same timing belt.

Guest Anonymous

thanks for the info I had a feeling that boxes might be swappable.

I really wanted factory outputs on the different rb2x's to try and figure best "Bang for buck", before i hand out the cash for the seemingly cheapest motor in my price bracket.

Guest lambsr

OK, in capacity order then:

RB20DET

There are three common versions of this motor, plus a couple of 'specials' (there may be more):

a) early R31 NICS '12 port' engine about 140kW stock output, red rocker covers, the first of this generation

B) late R31 ECCS '6 port' engine, about 150kw, red rockers.

c) R32 ECCS, 162kW, silver rockers, first with ball-bearing turbo. Regarded as the 'best' of the RB20DET engines.

The specials were:

1. RB20DET-R - was a special version developed for the production car racing scene in Japan, but also made it inot some production R31's. I've seen photos of both NICS and ECCS versions of this engine, but only for the R31 (but that doesn't mean there wasn't an R32 version). This engine had an output in the 170kW region using a T04E turbo, tubular headers and other special parts. SSS Auto (Sydney) lists one of these in their current inventory.

2. Not strictly a 'special', but the RB20DET did make it into the Z31 chassis for the Jap domestic market. The model was called the '200ZR' and was produced for a few years in the mid 80's. The engine was essentially a NICS type, but had a sump configuration that would also allow it to bolt straight into a 240Z or 260Z. Rare, but I have seen one of these at an importer in Melbourne a couple of years back.

RB25DET

This engine first appeared in the R33 in the GTS25T and has continued in production since then with refinements along the way and a re-naming to 'Neo' . Stock output is around the 185kW mark.

RB26DETT

Do I ned to say anything ?? Stock output around 208kW - or is it 206.....anyway it just happens to match the voluntary limit accepted by the Jap factories in line with Government wishes. Some say the actual stock output is higher than this, but I doubt it.

RB30ET

Made especially for the Oz market and appearing in the VL Commode only, there is a huge amount known about modifying this motor and the Sammut brothers have reputedly acheived over 900 HP out of a highly modified (duh !!) version in their drag car. Stock output is 150kW (but try and find a stockie !!)

That's about it. What to go for depends on your budget, but for my money the RB25DET is a good all-round bet with half-cuts now available for around $3500.

Guest Anonymous

Thats exactly what i wanted thanks!!

I've just picked up an RB30 non turbo with 5spd, harness, computer etc. for $1000-

from the prices ive gathered it was about half of what i would pay at any wreckers.

But now the dilema i've got to find another good z shell. icon_confused.gif

Guest Anonymous

Great info, the RB25DET sounds like the go,eh. Does anyone know anything about fitting a RB25DET/RB20DET DOHC HEAD onto the RB30 SOHC engine that was fitted to the holden commodore, I reakon that'ed be the go in the 240Z RB30DET

clintt@xtra.co.nz

Guest lambsr

I think this site should give you a lot of info that you need:

http://members.saonline.com.au/~rowan/twincam.htm

One problem with putting one of these in a Z is bonnet clearance. The RB30 block is about 35mm taller than the RB2x types, plus the twin cam head is way taller again than the RB30 head. Then if you use the stock cross-over RB25DE/T manifold arrangement...well, I think you can see where this is heading ......perhaps a power bulge in the bonnet would be appropriate in this case

icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

Cheers for the info Slamb, I checked out that site, 467 hp YEH F---ING HA!!!!! But it sounds like I had better stick to the RB25DET with a GTR style inlet manifold. Has anyone got any Hp figures on modifed RB25DET's(eg bigger turbo etc), and what other modifications are needed to drop one of these engines into a 240Z eg (sump/cross member mods/ clearance for master cyl/ booster etc) icon_confused.gif

im not sure about the rb-30 but all the other rb- cranks have a different size pulley bolt and at not interchangable with the rb-26. a good rule of thumb is about the only thing that is interchangable are the head and there are some minor mods you need to do to make that work also

stony

Guest lambsr

There was a rumour that someone in Sydney built an AWD 240Z using the GTR drivetrain, but AFAIC the car has never surfaced in the flesh, as it were, so remains just a rumour.

As to fitting an RB30 crank to an RB2x block, even if it is possible (and I just don't know), the biggest problem will be finding rods shorter than the stock RB2x rods to make the thing work. From the factory they don't exist, so custom may be one way (big $$$$) or perhaps a donor from a completely different engine type (read: lottery).

In any event, why bother ??, just go the much easier and cheaper RB25 head onto RB30 block icon_biggrin.gif

• 1 year later...

Hey there has any one in aus done the rb30 swap into a z if so can you help on the mounts what did they use any help would be great got the rb30 hanging in the engine bay now and carnt seem to get it low enough using r31 skyline mount brackets

• 2 years later...
Great info' date=' the RB25DET sounds like the go,eh. Does anyone know anything about fitting a RB25DET/RB20DET DOHC HEAD onto the RB30 SOHC engine that was fitted to the holden commodore, I reakon that'ed be the go in the 240Z RB30DET

[email']clintt@xtra.co.nz[/email]

This is funny! Just found this old link (above) which was ME way back on 07-13-01 when i first hatched my plan to build a RB30DET powered 240z, i didnt even own one then, and never had. But knew i wanted one, and have wanted to do this swap for a long time now, try four years! I have been doing my homework on & off ever since.

Well goes to show if you are passinate enough about something, you will make it happen, as i only got my 240z about 2-3 months ago, and have already collected many of the parts i need, and the project is well under way.

So when i stumbled accross my old/pretty much first ever thread i had a bit of a giggle.

This site has certainly been an inspiration.

Cheers guys. :-)

Clint T, (BTW, the email address in my old thread above is no longer correct)