HybridZ

Please post photo of LS oil pan protection/guarding

It appears the lowest part of my car is the LS1 oil pan.  I'm curious what others have done in terms of protecting the pan with a guard etc...  I have a few ideas and before I start I wanted to see what others have done.  I could probably find a different pan to improve clearance but I'm really looking to do this w/o messing with the pan etc.  

Thanks - Mike

Edited by Mikey303LSZ

I tried puting a straight piece of 1.25" angle iron welded to the crossmember, but I felt like it was a trap for rocks.  So, the car is at the fabricator getting a triangular cattle catcher or plow shaped piece of steel welded to the crossmember.  It is 1.25" tall.  Pictures when I get car back ( getting lots of little things fixed).

I still haven't ordered the Kevko pan, but they do make one which is 5" deep as opposed to the LS1's 5.75", and it has baffles for better oil control too. $300, and I have read in various places that they'll do a shorter sump if you ask. I'm trying to figure out how short is safe to go...

http://www.kevkoracing.com/

I still haven't ordered the Kevko pan, but they do make one which is 5" deep as opposed to the LS1's 5.75", and it has baffles for better oil control too. $300, and I have read in various places that they'll do a shorter sump if you ask. I'm trying to figure out how short is safe to go...

http://www.kevkoracing.com/

Please post an update with your findings on how short of a sump is safe to go. I'm having my motor built this summer and I can have them fit any oil pan I choose.

Yeah, I'm trying to get my exhaust done but the dang tranny crossmember and the diff just won't budge to give me more ground clearance so I'm raising car back up an inch. On the 8th day God created coilovers! If only he had created automatic self-adjusting toe in I'd be golden. .

Yeah, I'm trying to get my exhaust done but the dang tranny crossmember and the diff just won't budge to give me more ground clearance so I'm raising car back up an inch. On the 8th day God created coilovers! If only he had created automatic self-adjusting toe in I'd be golden. .

Is your exhuast side exit?

Actually not bad because they toss the noise out the side.  wfritts911 had his headers pointing straight out the top of the hood and it wasn't awful (he let me drive his car).  I think you get the most noise when the exhaust dumps underneath the car with the sound trapped between the street and your butt. wfritts911 made his own long tube headers and he hasnt finished the whole exhaust (hopefully he's too busy boxing up a bunch of beef jerky for me, or doing well in college), but he said his car was louder with the exhaust under the floor board than it was dumping out the top of the hood.

Ordered the pan this morning. They said 4" sump would not be a problem. Asked about a scraper, they said stock windage tray should be fine and they didn't see a big effect from scrapers in the LS engines. They charged an extra $25 for the shallower sump and $55 for the pickup tube, and then upsold me on the remote oil filter and hose and fittings which I needed anyway. Altogether I paid $500, plus shipping I'm guessing. They said they'd ship in about 3 days, so turnaround isn't bad either.

FYI guys, the guy who sold me my pan underquoted me. The pan and the pickup were correct, but he came up about $100 short on the fittings hoses, gasket and remote filter setup. Instead of $500, it was $620. I cancelled the fittings and hoses and kept the gasket and remote filter setup and the price went down to about $480. They were charging $25 per fitting and $40 for the -10 hose, so I think it's best to get that stuff somewhere else. My pan is shipping today.