HybridZ

Harness bar in the northwest??

shuttlefever

Hey all,

I know there's a few members that live in the pacific northwest and I hope there is a few members that are familiar with SCCA rules.   I am building my ZX to do some autocrossing and maybe a track day or two...  At this point I am budget snug so obviously I have to be frugal with my purchases.  I am looking at using a harness bar for my race harness.  I have raced with the Bremerton Sports Car Club numerous times with different cars and harness bars have never been an issue.  However I am hoping to get to some SCCA sanctioned events with this car, (maybe packwood etc..)  So I want to make sure i wont be in for any surprises during tech.  Anyone familiar with how SCCA feels about harness bars?

In  the SCCA Solo world the tech is pretty lack (compared to club racing).  Whether you get questioned depends more on the individual doing the tech then the actual rules.  That being said, most harness bar installations I've seen in S30s and S130s are unsafe.  The bar needs to handle the load of one or two 175lb. person(s) experiencing a 20G deceleration.  You do the math.

Also, the shoulder harnesses should be as short as possible, mounting so they are straight back off the driver's shoulders (looking from above), go through specifically designed holes in the race seat, and at no more then a 20 degree up or down angle from level with the driver's shoulders (looking from the side).

Packwood is amazingly gorgeous, I'm looking to go out there more often this year.

The one solo 2 event I went to a while back I had schroth harnesses going to factory anchor points in my other car and the tech guy did not even blink an eye. From what I recall there were only one or two people running a harness bar (others had roll bars and cages), and I don't think they were hassled. 

John, out of curiosity where would be safe locations to mount a bar?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been wanting to build one for a few years. I currently have a strut tower brace. No way in the world would I attach harness straps to that. Not designed for that direction of load. The pic below is a VERY rough sketch of what I am considering. All steel and hiem joints need to be spec'd to take the load of an accident. Attach tabs to the mount for the strut brace. It is bolted down by all 3 bolts for the rear suspension. The bar is attached with hiem joints for adjustability  The horizontal bar runs cross ways just behind the seat and at the level of the pass through holes on the seats. A wire hoop is welded to the top of the bar to keep the straps in location on the bar. On the bottom of the bar, weld on tabs that would then have vertical supports that go to the floor board to maintain the correct height of the main bar. Replacing the hiem joints with serious bolts would certainly lower the parts pricing.  

Thoughts? 

HarnessBar.jpg

That is pretty much exactly what I have in mind! I Already purchased heim ends from a race supply house. Just need to start welding. Even if my car was not a 2+2 I wouldn't use the strut brace. A harness bar would help ensure a closer fit to your seat as well as the right height. I will be building it soon!

Update on the harness bar.  Got off my butt and built one to fit the way i want it to.  Since I am not going to run my stock interior, I was not worried about sneaking anything between interior panels.  So my bar fits really snug between the "B" pillars.   I decided to use the stock mounting locations for seat belts as my hook points.  I am quite satisfied with the results.  Going to try and attach the pics from my gallery on my profile.

Lower mount-

lower harness Bar mount Z

Test fit-

harness Bar Raw Z

Painted and harnesses installed-

harness Bar Z

Harnesses-

harness Z

Camera mount-

camera mount Z

First autocross is next weekend...   I am super excited!!!

Edited by shuttlefever

• 3 weeks later...