HybridZ

Looking for a shop in Detroit???

BlackdogNY

My 'new to me' Z is in Detoit and I am considering having a bunch of work done before I ship it back east.  I has not run in a long time(It did run when it was put on the moving truck a few yrs ago). Very clean/rust free car.  What do I want done?:

1. Install full AZC suspension/brakes

2. New wheels/tires

3. Since it has been sitting for so long, flush/replace all fluids(i am willing to bet there is some Sunoco 94 from early '90's in it) replace rubber hoses. Adj. valves/tune-up(basicly get it to run again).

4. Install LSD(I have a line on a Gleason, if not put a LSD in existing r200).

5. Some minor cage work.

There might be other stuff, will see.  Would like a shop that has worked on a Z before.

Thanks,

B&G

Trailer it across through Windsor to Buffalo. Unless you have a thought that the price you will get the work for there is that much cheaper... But shipping those parts to the car to drive it back? I'd pass and just flat tow on a set of wheels, car dolly on a pair, or trailer it with what it's got!

Done this more than a few times.

Detroit IS East, btw.

Edited by Tony D

Not even considering driving the car back home.  It is way cheaper/easier to have it shipped(enclosed).  I was just considering having the work done because I am getting old /lazy and thought the Motorcity would be a good place to find a shop.

I need to have the parts shipped to ?????, I don't have anything in hand.

I guess I can expand my shop search to anywhere between Detroit and Boston.

Detroit being East is like anything north of Westchester is farmland or Canada.

After what seemed like a ton of wasted interweb searching(operator error),  I have found a few shops.

AMS in Chicago: their work looks excellent, welding is VERY nice.  They are in the wrong directions and have not asked if they work on older Z's.

National Speed in NC:  work looks very good, again out of the way.

RDZ in CT: I think a Bob Sharp guy??

Datsun Spirit in VA: kinda out of the way.

Dent Sport Garage near Boston: ???

Anyone have exp. with these guys??

Will keep looking..........I have a little time to decide on what to do.

B&G

There will unlikely be any surprises with this car(body wise, eng. maybe something from sitting), I know the owner VERY well and even helped drive the car home from CA, some 25 yrs ago. I just saw the car around New Years, dusty, but better then I was expecting. 

The car will be going to the Boston area.  I am willing to ship the car to  any shop that is willing/able to get the work done.  If not, it will just take longer to do it myself.

I will be getting busy with work in the next month, so time will be hard to find.  As I get older, the late nites working on the car after a full  days work will be difficult to get modivated for. 

B&G

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this search has produced zero results, besides a geography lesson.  One shop was not interested, three others have not even bothered to respond.  I did get one guy to answer and we will see what happens, not  expecting much. 

Looks like I will be spending most of my summer working on this car instead of driving it.

Hard to believe there is nobody between Michigan and the Atlantic ocean who wants to work on this car.....

B&G

Hey B&G

Try A&C imports they specalize in Z's and are located in Bedford NH. http://www.acimportsllc.com/

I haven't taken my z to them personally yet but I've heard good things about them. I've spoken to them them a few times about potential work/prices on my Z and they seemed very friendly/knowledgeble. They're also part of ZCCNE (Z car club of new england)