HybridZ

Head swap finally finished!

cpark_12

I just got my motor back together and took it for a drive and I'm impressed for sure! 

I have an 83 N/A that I got for pretty cheap in July of 2012.  It had over 214k on the clock when I bought it.  All stock from what I could tell.  I started having some FI system, so I put a 390cfm carb and cartech intake on it and it opened it up pretty good.  I also have a 76 Z that my brother and I are putting a 302 in.  So, I had a N42 head not being used, so I decided to put it to some good use!  Anyway, I started pulling it apart and found that it had a "Datsun Performance" "C" stamped cam in it.  I don't know much about it, but I figured I'd leave it for now.  I left the bottom end like it was...it wasn't smoking or knocking, and it still has crosshatch in the cylinders.  I put the head on and cleaned everything up, and after some timing issues were fixed, she fired right up!

Now, all of that leads to a question...

Should I be able to hear the cam?  It sounds like it lopes some, but by the specs, it isn't a big enough difference, or isn't on paper.  I have no vaccum leaks, and my timing is good.  I'll have to post a video when I get a chance.  I'm very impressed by the throttle response more than anything.  The power is good all over too!

I don't really know where I was going with this post, was just excited and had to tell somebody that would understand!

The C stamp cam is tiny. It won't have much, if any lope, nor will you notice any difference in the butt-dyno.

But that thing sure does sound good! I second the motion for good suspension components, you need'em.