HybridZ

Which CLSD? - Cusco RS or OS Giken

EF Ian

I've decided to go with a CLSD for my build and I've narrowed it down to either a Cusco or an OS Giken. Has anyone run either of these lsd's that can give some feedback.?

I'll be going for a 1.5 way whichever I get.

It will be mainly street use but also some track days and the odd bit of drag strip action.

What would you reccommend?

Cusco RS or OS Giken

Giken

http://www.osgiken.net/products.php?Category2=&SubCat2=&product=lsd&submit.x=34&submit.y=18

Cusco

http://www.limited-slip.com/acatalog/How_A_Cusco_LSD_Works.html

+1 for OS Giken then, hopefully get some more opinions also.

I'm sure the Cusco is a great LSD but I've heard the OS Giken unit is very good for the road as it has nice smooth and progressive lock and doesn't chatter much at slow speeds, can you confirm that its good in these areas compared to other clsd's?

Thanks   :icon7: 

Edited by EF Ian

Here's an example of the tunability of the OSG diff.  One of my customers autocrossed a E36 BMW in FP and won a national championship in that class, beating John Thomas' 240Z.  The BMW had an issue in long slaloms where it would develop a sligh push when getting back on the gas betwwen cones.  The push came on about halfway through the slalom run.  Taking with the OSG folks we determined that the quick on-off-on throttle through the slalom was pumping the diff oil out from between the clutches causing a slightly harsh lockup.  We repalced the flat clutches with clutches that has oil grooves machined in them and we adjusted the lock timing so that the clutches would start to lock up sooner.  This solved the push problem and lead to a national championship.

Its definitly still looking like the OS Giken is the way to go.

My understanding is that the Cusco uses 6 or 8 clutches. The Giken uses something ridiculous like 30. More clutches, more adjustability. I'd go Giken if the cash weren't a factor. I think it's about twice the cost.

The OS will be more expensive than a Kazz, but I doubt its more than a Cusco as the cusco lsd would cost me over £1200 (and thats pounds, not dollars) so thats already very expensive. I'm waiting from a reply from the UK OG Giken dealer but I expect it to cost less than that. (Hopefully)

Well, since Betamotorsport lists the OS Giken on the site as $1590 USD, after exchange rates + shipping I would say if UK OSG is also pricy you could likely get JohnC to post you a OSG superlock for less than 1200 Sterling. XE.com says 1200GBP is 1819USD, giving you 220USD for postage. What would VAT and Duty be?

And JohnC, I note you list the OSG for S30 R200, but not S130... Did you just save website screen space and programmer costs, reckoning S130 owners would just buy a S30 unit on the basis that a R200 is an R200, wherever it is installed?

I'm the web site programmer and I do a crappy job.  A R200 is a R200 (mostly) so yes, the same OSG unit works in all the long nose R200s.  For the ones with the 10mm ring gear bolts I also sell hard bronze bushing that take up the difference between the bolts and the 13mm drilled holes in the OSG diff flange.

I'm the web site programmer and I do a crappy job.  A R200 is a R200 (mostly) so yes, the same OSG unit works in all the long nose R200s.  For the ones with the 10mm ring gear bolts I also sell hard bronze bushing that take up the difference between the bolts and the 13mm drilled holes in the OSG diff flange.

Didn't realise they were 13mm, thought the would be 12mm.

Well, since Betamotorsport lists the OS Giken on the site as $1590 USD, after exchange rates + shipping I would say if UK OSG is also pricy you could likely get JohnC to post you a OSG superlock for less than 1200 Sterling. XE.com says 1200GBP is 1819USD, giving you 220USD for postage. What would VAT and Duty be?

VAT is 20% so with duty and shipping that would add about $400 to the retail price, which is too much really.

I have no doubts that Cusco LSD's are very good, anything made by Cusco I've used before has been very good, but I don't feel it will be quite as good for road use.

Edited by EF Ian