HybridZ

Advice on L24E hp gain

I like Datsun too, I have 6 of them. If it quacks like a duck you know. Basicly you want a stock l28e turbo power, suspension parts. Tack on bits like distributor, fuel pump, ECU, harness, etc. All I was saying was skip all the work and be driving in something you like. The goon is slow and ugly. If I had it, it would stay that way. True to itself. To be enjoyed as is. You may want to study the interchange threads. I will be looking at some 200sx S12s this weekend. I could photo or take a measuring tape

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong in changing a few things around it will still be true to what it is because I'm not changing anything body wise. If I had the funds I would have certain cars to have fun but like I said the 810 replaced the 280zx turbo to have room the for the family. The wagon maybe ugly to some that aren't into them which doesn't concern me but slow it is not it gets up there pretty quick for being a heavier car.

Edited by ArchetypeDatsun

I didnt do the kid thing, dodged that bullet, so I know no compromise. My cars are my kids in a way. You have an easy option. You have the space and mounts for L family motors. Quick and easy is to drop in a l28et. Be at your goal, and not much down time. I may be able to help, I have ECUs wiring harness etc. To build the l24e NA to something similar would take a lot more time and money. To put a turbo on the l24e/N47 and use aftermarket engine management wouldnt be that bad either for cost if you use MS. I agree with the majority at heart. I dont want you to think Im rolling in cars and money. Im not. Ive had to build what I was interested in just to know. A few good ones and a few under construction. Lots of possibilities, like you. Sometimes its like 'choose your adventure' moment. Maybe find the treasure. Maybe fall through a crag. The treasure is seen with interchange knowledge somewhat.

Is the connector pinout at the ECU the same for a Maxima L24E compared to a ZX L28E?  Curious if you can just swap the complete engine with AFM in the engine bay and the ECU in the cabin and be up and running with an L28, no funky tuning or tweaking.

Is the connector pinout at the ECU the same for a Maxima L24E compared to a ZX L28E? Curious if you can just swap the complete engine with AFM in the engine bay and the ECU in the cabin and be up and running with an L28, no funky tuning or tweaking.

I believe so I saw a guy change his intake manifold, AFM and ECU from from a 79-80 280zx on his 77 810 wagon and worked just fine.

The L24E in the 810 & the Maxima are front sump the oil feel line is also in a different position as well as the oil dipstick. Something a machine shop should be able to do.

I've wanted a Goon for a while. A legit 510 one. Or a 4 dr 510. It would be amazing to throw in an Sr or boosted ka and spank mustangs and vettes

Or do what 510six did and build a 400+ L28ET and then throw on nitrous for good measure and then shove it into a little 2 door....

I picked up these turbo parts cheap, and will pass that saving onto you when you get that far. I was thinking a turbo exhaust manifold, turbo, boost controller, ecu, wiring harness, AFM, TB, J Pipe, afm to turbo Pipe... And you would be ready to rock. What kind of clearance do you have where the turbo goes?

• 6 months later...

I didn't want to make another post so I'm at a point where I have to do the exhaust here soon as it's already needing a manifold & exhaust gasket replaced. I mentioned before I wanted to do the header (3-2-1) size of exhaust I'm just gonna stick to 2.5" inch all the way back to a custom made blast pipes (long dual tips) similar to the picture, I'm also debating on running it like this all the way back with no muffler but would a muffler help with better flow or just quiet my exhaust just a little (I been told both). A ton of people here have some pretty loud exhaust police aren't too picky only when speeding but I can already see myself getting pulled over for noise violation in some areas. I just want to do it right the first time as headers don't come cheap, I will have clearance issues with the steering box but how do all you 79-81 S130 guys fit headers without hitting the steering box?

post-5080-0-12649800-1381543244_thumb.jpg

post-5080-0-19858200-1381543257_thumb.jpg

I'm also debating on running it like this all the way back with no muffler but would a muffler help with better flow or just quiet my exhaust just a little (I been told both)........

will have clearance issues with the steering box but how do all you 79-81 S130 guys fit headers without hitting the steering box?

A daily driver should have a muffler. The noise from straight exhaust is tiring especially on a long trip.

S130's have R&P

I would get a S130 parts car and swap the engine and front/ rear suspension, it would take a lot of hacking and welding but it would be cool. I put a 240Z front suspension and drivetrain in a 510, it made a world of difference.

A daily driver should have a muffler. The noise from straight exhaust is tiring especially on a long trip.

S130's have R&P

I would get a S130 parts car and swap the engine and front/ rear suspension, it would take a lot of hacking and welding but it would be cool. I put a 240Z front suspension and drivetrain in a 510, it made a world of difference.

Correction: 82-83 S130's have R&P. 79-81 have Recirculating Ball. I believe '81 turbos are the exception, and had the R&P a year before the NA models.

And I should know, I converted my '81 over to R&P, and even did a write up here for it.

Correction: 82-83 S130's have R&P. 79-81 have Recirculating Ball. I believe '81 turbos are the exception, and had the R&P a year before the NA models.

And I should know, I converted my '81 over to R&P, and even did a write up here for it.

My bad. Have two '83 S130 parts cars, most of my experience is with the 1st gen.

I figured as much, and I did have a 81 ZXT with no motor or trans I should have taken the R&P I just couldn't have it sitting here in our property because of the landlord.

Front suspension should work as for the back I have a solid rear axle so it would be a big job for me also don't have a welder so that's out of the picture right now.

That steering box puts a hurting on header selection or trying for turbo sweetness.

As far as ZX to 810 ecu, years are very important as there were probably 3 or 4 different fuel pump schemes with changes an amount of fuel pump relays and pinout from year to year.

What I do know is that a 1982 zx n/a ecu will go into a 1984 maxima as will the air flow meter but that was more lucky coincidence and I doubt it would be as easy on earlier year bodies.

If the crossmembers are the same between the later maxima with rack and pinion and the 810, it would greatly simplify things but header or turbo routing is still an issue concerning clearance of the steering shaft as I had to make a custom down pipe for the turbo since neither the z31 elbow nor the 280zx turbo elbow would clear the shaft when I turbo'd a 1984 maxima.

Also.....if your 810 has engine mount brackets that sweep backwards to meet the engine mounts on the crossmember, they could also interfere with headers.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

The datsun maxima crossmember when I researched it was bigger than the 280zx the only thing I can swap over is the front sway bar, so the ZX crossmember with R&P would fit much easier as that's how it's been done before. I there was some old members here that did just that put 280zxt R&P and steering column on there 810 coupe they also swapped there subframe that had the R180 with the ZX subframe. Some parts are interchangeable, I've seen someone put 240z brakes on a 810, and put 280z ECU & AFM and work just fine. As far as the engine mine has the P30 block & N47 head EFI so basically 240z engine with late 70's EFI kinda like the 280z. Maximas had the same L24E. At the moment I just want keep the engine I have since it's my daily driver until I find another daily so I can do what I want to it which is either swap to L28E or L28ET or even RB or VG, I just want to do some simple upgrades since the engine runs so well and gets good MPG.

The only thing I can do is take the header with me to the exhaust shop and see what they can do if not go to a shop they can modify the header to fit which would probably be a lot easier.

As for the engine mounts I really haven't got under the engine as much to pay attention and its pretty snugged in the engine bay there's a lot of room just not as much as the ZX.