HybridZ

perfect fit 10" android tablet mounted in center dash

PapaSmurf

I've been working on my Z again finally  took a year off but I just pulled the engine out and I have it on the stand waiting for some cash to complete the rebuild. Since Im waiting I got a bit inspired and thought I'd try sticking my iconia a500 inside the dash. My heater controls are broken and missing parts Ive wired a switch to turn the heater on/off and set the defrost on permanently so I dont really need anything in the center dash soo...

post-1143-0-76701800-1365358431_thumb.jpeg

I'm an android dev and I've become bored with this tablet so it's going to get new life in my Z as a stereo/video/navigation device I think I'll wire in a backup cam and possibly set it up as an ecu monitor when I go back to efi in the future. I had to notch the corners of the inside of the dash to get it to fit but that was easy with the dremel - now I need to whip up a lower mount and get it wired up. What do you guys think. I still need to clean it up I just started mocking it up.

OK got a rough draft of the mount finished for today cut from sheet bent and tweaked. it screws into the original mounts for the center piece so I can always revert later if I wanted to. I wrapped the mount in black vinyl with some spray on adhesive and it fits snug as a bug. I'm not sure if I'm going to do any touch up work I could use some filler and make it look even better but then I wouldn't be able to reverse the process or remove the tablet for antitheft purposes

I also started working on some dash faces to match my 110 red/orange Z getting the size right on the prints is a pita

post-1143-0-99857500-1365358676_thumb.jpeg

post-1143-0-55707300-1365364534_thumb.jpg

post-1143-0-77848100-1365364550_thumb.jpg

post-1143-0-39833200-1365364564_thumb.jpg

post-1143-0-65875900-1365364584_thumb.jpg

Edited by PapaSmurf

I like it! What would make this really slick is if you could develop true controls for the HVAC system. Everything thru the touch screen ala Tesla, is truly the way to go. Good luck, great project.

Joe

I'm certain I could make that happen but I don't have the cash to put into it at the moment. For now it works fine I only use defroster and heat here and I've relocated the fan switch and set defrost high heat up permanently. Still gotta get the engine together and she needs body work and paint after that

Edited by PapaSmurf

Off the top of my head it would take a few stepper motors probably a new reengineered control box some relays to operate the motors an arduino board a few weeks to write the software interface I'll keep it mind as a future project too much money to spend right now. It would be fun to work on it. I wonder if there is a vehicle with electric HVAC controls that I could take a control box out of and repurpose engineering that would be the tricky part.

OK, I will look up your wiring diagram and draw up some sketches. I am sure you have more experience with the actual software side so I will leave that up to you. I am kind of busy so may take may a few days but should have some general schematics fairly soon. 

Vintage Air units are electrically controlled. And the Mini fits great in a 280Z. If y'all end up doing something with this I have VA unit installed and a Nexus 7 I would love to integrate in my dash. I would even be willing to help some with development costs. I don't like the looks of any of VA's mechanical controls, but I don't have experience with programming or arduino to rig up something myself.

It would also be cool to use for a backup camera... for those winter day's when the rear window is still fogged up.

I was thinking the same thing but my options are a bit limited I'd have to either run a full Linux distro on the tab or rewrite the camera app in android to accept an external source there is a full usb port on it though no web cam drivers in the kernel yet or gut the thing and use the back cam with shielded cables on the outside I don't know if an i2c signal can be run that far though I doubt it and then I'd have to permamount the thing to the dash. If I tweak the mount a bit I can get a good view out the back with the front cam but I have a rearview mirror for that

Edited by PapaSmurf

I already own a backup camera system. Honestly, as lame as it may sound, I may mount my Tablet on a hinge or something and just install my backup screen behind it. Yeah, its not super elegant but I don't care enough about it to do it a different way.

Also, please guys, share any arduino ideas you may have. I have considered installing a different ac system. If a tablet could control it, well that would just be swell :)

• Administrators

I already own a backup camera system. Honestly, as lame as it may sound, I may mount my Tablet on a hinge or something and just install my backup screen behind it.

Or put your back up display on your sun visor. Flip down when needed.