HybridZ

What is supposed to be here?

I just bought a 78 280z 5 speed and the P.O. said he used it as a daily driver until it stopped turning on. I bought it for $700. When I tried to start it with a good battery it wouldn't turn over. My brother messed with these two blue wires in the picture and it turned on. I'm sure these aren't supposed to be there and it looks like there used to be something next to it. Can anyone tell me what was there before? And what I can do to get it started? I used some starter fluid and it turned on for a second.

The fusible link design used in the S30 is less than optimal for handling today's electrical needs (higher output alternators, electric fans, hi-power stereos, etc).  My impression is that most people replace them with newer technology.  The "maxi-fuse" solution is a popular upgrade.  I replaced mine with 50- and 80-amp circuit breakers.  Search "fusible link replacement" and you'll find lots of good ideas.