HybridZ

'82 ZX dies after a few miles...

Weltall

So I recently purchased the car mentioned in the title, and I have a problem that has me stumped. The car will start and idle great, and runs pretty well considering all the little bugs. The car will run for 3-6 miles on the highway, then die. No warning, nothing. Running one second, nothing the next. It will start again after a few minutes, then die a mile or two later. If I let it sit for an hour or eight, as I did yesterday because I caught a ride to work, it'll start and run fine. It died again as I pulled into my driveway...

Any ideas?

It's an 82 ZX N/A.

Ignition module.  Fuel supply.  Overheating relay.  Overheating electrical connection.  You need to narrow things down.  Watch for symptoms like what the tach needle does when it dies, lights or other electrical affected, etc.  Do other thngs still work but the engine won't start or is everything totally dead?  Car goes, car dies doesn't offer much.

When it dies the tach goes to zero, the lights and everything are fine. The engine just quits with no warning. I haven't checked for spark when it happens yet. I'll get back here when I do.

Like I said, the engine offers no warning. Literally, it's fine one second, then it's dead. No sputtering or power loss, no lead up to the event.

You can use carb spray or starting fluid ( spray into the throttle body ) . If it runs then you have fuel issue . Use press gauge and T it into press. ( feed line ) side of fuel line to see if you have any press. . But from your description , i would check to see if you are getting injector pulse , using a noid light ( or homemade test light - low amp. bulb ) . Plug it to the injector connector to see if it flashes during crank . At connector , one wire should have bat. voltage when key on/start and the other is signal from ECM .

Does this just happen to be as it gets warmed up?

Id say pick up a ignition control module for 40$ off ebay and give it a go. That same thing happend to me.

Also check and clean your grounds on the manifold as the efi harness is grounded there.

Edited by col10see

Does this just happen to be as it gets warmed up?

Id say pick up a ignition control module for 40$ off ebay and give it a go. That same thing happend to me.

Also check and clean your grounds on the manifold as the efi harness is grounded there.

Yes, only when warm. I'll give your idea a go as well. Thank you guys! I'll let you know how it goes.

Lol. Yeah, it's a P.I.T.A. to get to as well. But, I got the car to die on me, and checked for spark. Got nothing. Played with everything around the dizzy and coil, nothing. Then I pulled the module off, and was surprised at how filthy it was... All the connections were corroded and the back of the module was covered in grease. Car runs fine now!

Thanks everyone, really appreciate all the help.

If you can I would still recomend getting a new one and just hold on to the old one if it works for a spare.... though it may not even happen for another 15years.... mine looked like the factory one so maybe less likely than so. But better to be prepared than let murphys law bite you.

I got cut off by some prick on the highway. Tried to drop a gear from 5th to to 4th but caught 2nd instead. The tach needle buried hard at 7k, only for maybe, maybe a second. Then it was running like crap. I feel horrible. I yucked up bad....