HybridZ

LS1 or LS2 motor into 240z - Budget wise.

And to answer the original post - I scored my last three complete F body cars under $3000 and the last one being a 2002 Camaro. Is the LS2 "better" than the LS1 yes but does it justify the mark up in cost for pull outs......no. Plenty of LS1 cars here still running around with lots of track miles on them and been running now over 7 years. If you are on a budget just stick to the ls1 or a 5.3 which I have complete that I got for $250. Don't get caught up in all the hype.....and LSx based engine will be tons of fun to drive over stock. The trick is to plan you attack and stick with it within budget.

mattd428 not sure if you are talking to me  but I am trying to keep the swap "cost" within scope here. If someone says they spend $8k on their swap but bought a fast 92 intake and tb for $1500 to me that isn't part of the cost of the swap. People here say they have $10k into their swap when they really have $10k into their project - that is all I am trying to say.

Cost is how much work you are willing to put in and how much bargin hunting you will do. Big differnce in "cost" when you start off with a pull out for $4k and a complete car for $4k. :wink:

Wow.  A lot of......odd.....information in this thread.  Clive, you got lucky with those F-bodys.  I looked for a few months and basket cases out here were 4k minimum. :(

I bought my engine and transmission off a reseller on Ebay for $3,200 shipped from Florida.  The engine was from a 1998 Camaro SS, 75k miles, and was a complete pullout: complete LS1 , 4L60E, PCM, and harness.  I had previously wired up my car for EFI with my old turbo setup, so modifying my auxiliary fuse box was easy and cheap.  I had alread installed an Arizona Z-car aluminum radiator and had a Flex-a-lite 210 electric fan.  That was around a $500 savings between those two.  I re-did my fuel system (changed over from SS braided all the way back to SS hardline), Corvette FPR ($60), fittings (Russell pushlock for fuel rail and fittings for FPR - $150), JCI mounting kit ($600), JTR ceramic coated headers ($495), JTR CAI kit (~$75 IIRC), JTR steam vent tee ($33), K&N filter ($60) exhaust ($450), HP Tuners ($450), B&M Stealth Pro Ratchett shifter ($300).  This is off the top of my head. As you can see I am over $5,500 in just parts.  Add another $1,000 to account for the work I did for my old turbo setup that I could save.

Parts I purchased that were not necessary and a couple unused:  Transgo HD2 shift kit ($120 - not installed), B&M remote trans filter ($40 - not installed), TCI transmission pan with plug ($75 - installed), LS6 intake ($300 from LS1tech.com - installed), ported throttle body with 'typical' modifications ($60), B&M transmission cooler, SS braided lines and fittings ($200), misc. pretty pieces ($100)

Edited by ktm

As i stated earlier , the cost of your project is base on your abilities and tools . You can source out a donor F body for around 2k , got mine for $1900 w/ 60k miles ( $2500 after tax , fees , shipping ) . Was able to sell the leftover ( 2002 Z28 ) for $750 and $850 for the Z motor/trans. . And still have some leftover ( worth about $500 ) . And i used a lot of parts from the Z28 which saved **** load of money . Total cost on my conversion probably way less than 3k . Now , this  is where the fun ( upgrades on the car ) begins . Donor car is the best to go , IMO .

I agree that a donor car is the best way to go.  You live in redneck central so everyone with a mullet (90% of the state except Austin) either owns a Camaro or Mustang. :)  I would clarify your statement about sourcing a donor for $2k unless they live where you live.  Come out to southern California and see what you can get for $2k......Frank280zx got a donor F-body with a T56 and LT1 (1997) for $2,500.  Notice I said LT1.  Move up one letter in the alphabet and add $2k to that number.

Edited by ktm

I agree that a donor car is the best way to go.  You live in redneck central so everyone with a mullet (90% of the state except Austin) either owns a Camaro or Mustang. :)  I would clarify your statement about sourcing a donor for $2k unless they live where you live.  Come out to southern California and see what you can get for $2k......Frank280zx got a donor F-body with a T56 and LT1 (1997) for $2,500.  Notice I said LT1.  Move up one letter in the alphabet and add $2k to that number.

Got mine from Copart auction . It's hard to find one with low mileage and cheap . Gotta have patience , my friend . Here's a pic. . and i haven't sold the wheels/tires and full length ceramic coated headers yet . I got lucky . But we all can do it , just have patience .

post-11413-0-85250600-1367293268_thumb.jpg

I wished I had found one at copart for cheap but I finally gave up and pieced mine together (still am actually lol).  If I didn't have 2 finals in the same day during my last semester at school I could've scored a hail damaged SS for cheap... I almost died when I saw that it went for only $1600!!! And it only had around 60-70k miles on it.  But yeah mostly 4k and up from what I've seen lately

Yes I know that and I wouldn't post unless I myself knew the history of your car too. Just because a shop charges $x to do something doesn't make it the standard to get the work done. Again I am not knocking David because I know he was very busy when he started that swap back in 05/06 but when someone is asking what something cost to do please state the fact that a shop did some of the work you are quoting.

For fun I asked a local shop here how much would it be to just mount the LS1/t56 in my car and I finish the rest - they said $4600 @ $110/hr = 41 hours! Anyone who has done the basic swap can tell you that is crazy!

41 hours!! :icon52:

Wow.  A lot of......odd.....information in this thread.  Clive, you got lucky with those F-bodys.  I looked for a few months and basket cases out here were 4k minimum. :(

I bought my engine and transmission off a reseller on Ebay for $3,200 shipped from Florida.  The engine was from a 1998 Camaro SS, 75k miles, and was a complete pullout: complete LS1 , 4L60E, PCM, and harness.  I had previously wired up my car for EFI with my old turbo setup, so modifying my auxiliary fuse box was easy and cheap.  I had alread installed an Arizona Z-car aluminum radiator and had a Flex-a-lite 210 electric fan.  That was around a $500 savings between those two.  I re-did my fuel system (changed over from SS braided all the way back to SS hardline), Corvette FPR ($60), fittings (Russell pushlock for fuel rail and fittings for FPR - $150), JCI mounting kit ($600), JTR ceramic coated headers ($495), JTR CAI kit (~$75 IIRC), JTR steam vent tee ($33), K&N filter ($60) exhaust ($450), HP Tuners ($450), B&M Stealth Pro Ratchett shifter ($300).  This is off the top of my head. As you can see I am over $5,500 in just parts.  Add another $1,000 to account for the work I did for my old turbo setup that I could save.

Parts I purchased that were not necessary and a couple unused:  Transgo HD2 shift kit ($120 - not installed), B&M remote trans filter ($40 - not installed), TCI transmission pan with plug ($75 - installed), LS6 intake ($300 from LS1tech.com - installed), ported throttle body with 'typical' modifications ($60), B&M transmission cooler, SS braided lines and fittings ($200), misc. pretty pieces ($100)

Here FWIW a high miles LS1/6sp TODAY>>>>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Camaro-Trans-Am-LS1-Engine-w-Manual-T56-6-Speed-Transmission-109k-/380611075281?_trksid=p2050601.m2372&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D207%26meid%3D7336507453775258834%26pid%3D100085%26prg%3D1112%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D171022898274%26%26clkid%3D7336510657924759066&_qi=RTM1303754 :icon12: 

Edited by PLATA

Damn ! That's a lot of custom work for 3K . I like the front bumper setup but not the rest of the car .

The above for 3 G's will always be a low end car , this one a solid base for a transplant and then some>>>>>>>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-Datsun-240Z-extensively-refurbished-/161008859120?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item257ce037f0#ht_3122wt_1168  :icon12:

The above for 3 G's will always be a low end car , this one a solid base for a transplant and then some>>>>>>>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-Datsun-240Z-extensively-refurbished-/161008859120?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item257ce037f0#ht_3122wt_1168  :icon12:

More offten , the originals ( classics and collectors ) will cost more than customs . When you start to customizing your car to your taste , others might not like what you've done . Everyone has his own imaginations ( crazy ideas ) . Me , i like custom . But do it with a minimum cost . I like to accomplish the same goals with minimum labor and cost . Which is doable with a little thinking and patience , and a little leg work . LOL .

More offten , the originals ( classics and collectors ) will cost more than customs . When you start to customizing your car to your taste , others might not like what you've done . Everyone has his own imaginations ( crazy ideas ) . Me , i like custom . But do it with a minimum cost . I like to accomplish the same goals with minimum labor and cost . Which is doable with a little thinking and patience , and a little leg work . LOL .

That is why the Z is the perfect IMO to customize, not consider yet a full collectors piece, rare yes, nostalgic yes, some cult yes,  the lines are almost pure European and has that exotic sports car persona , make it look as original as possible , give her power , update the suspension/brakes , add creature comforts and drive her to shows, to the local car event, night drives , enjoy her to the max  ..FWIW  :icon12:

Edited by PLATA