HybridZ

Need help removing tachometer and speedometer

415DZ

Hey everyone,

I need a little help with my speedo/tach issue. I did some searching and found some info on putting new gauges in the stock position, but not too much info on getting the stock meters out.

A little background on my car.......

It's a 1971 240z with a vg30e motor swapped in. Several previous owners ago did it. Basically my tachometer doesn't work, I'm guessing it's not compatible. So I want to install an autometer in the stock housing, but I need to know how to remove the existing stock one. I read it comes out from the front, but I don't see how. There is a lens on the front and it looks connected to the dash to me. If anyone can shed some light I'd really appreciate it. I don't want to have to remove the entire dash.

Also if anyone can tell me how to wire it up for this specific application that would be great too. I'm still new to all of this, but I'm willing to learn and I have a few people who can help me.

Thanks for reading!

Dave

There's a screw up front. You should be able to see it top center. Then there's one in the back of it. Dead center also. They are philips. After that the gauge should come out. To fit the autometer will just take some thinking and cutting.

You might have a dash cap. It's difficult, but not impossible with some tricks, to get the tach and speedo out through the front with a dash cap.

There is indeed a dash cap put in place by the previous owner. I'm guessing the screws mentioned are covered by it because I didn't see any. That could prove to be a problem as I think the dash cap is taped on. Can anyone provide a pic of these screws as I don't want to risk breaking the dash cap while trying to remove it if I don't have to.

Edited by 415DZ

There are two wing nuts holding each gauge in place up in behind the gauge, you need to lay on your back under your steering wheel and look up at the back of the gauge a flash light will help you see the wing nuts. I found laying on my back on top of the seat with my legs on the head rest got me in a pretty good position, also will need long nose pliers to help you undo the wing nuts

Just bit more info for you,

My 71 240Z does not have any screws at the front holding the bezel/gauges in this may be true for 72 and up.

I loosen off the wing nuts at the back and by pushing it evenly from the back it will slide out towards the steering wheel mine took a bit of pushing as was a tight fit in the dash but once it started moving it came out pretty easily, you may need to take the steering wheel off if you still have the factory wheel fitted to get the bezel and gauge out in one piece, I also have a dash cap on my Z but this did not cause me any problems just take your time and should come out ok.

Just bit more info for you,

My 71 240Z does not have any screws at the front holding the bezel/gauges in this may be true for 72 and up.

I loosen off the wing nuts at the back and by pushing it evenly from the back it will slide out towards the steering wheel mine took a bit of pushing as was a tight fit in the dash but once it started moving it came out pretty easily, you may need to take the steering wheel off if you still have the factory wheel fitted to get the bezel and gauge out in one piece, I also have a dash cap on my Z but this did not cause me any problems just take your time and should come out ok.

Ok so there is no screws, I thought I was blind or going crazy. Just remove the wing nuts and I can push it out through the front. I guess I'll give it a shot. So the housing, and lens are all together and will come out in one piece?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Yup, it's all one piece.  And, like you said, no screw for the early Speedo or Tach (that came later), 2 wing nuts on the backside, unhook the bulbs, wiring connector(s), and cable.  They normally slide out with relative ease.  With a full face dash cap you'll have a little trouble getting the closest part of the gauge bezel through the hole in the cap...

post-5024-0-91126200-1369068607_thumb.jpg

post-5024-0-24669000-1369068623_thumb.jpg

post-5024-0-42263200-1369068634_thumb.jpg

Edited by cgsheen

If you gotta take them out back prepare yourself for a battle. Time consuming and a real bizatch, but it can be done.

What problems did you run in to?  Any advice?  I'd really like to get a working tach in there.

If you gotta take them out back prepare yourself for a battle. Time consuming and a real bizatch, but it can be done.

How? In an early, the tabs they mount to are welded to the dash frame. How do you get those out of the way to get the gauge out the back??