HybridZ

Fuel Cell Questions

ihiryu

Hey guys, I don't like asking for spoon fed answers, but there's so many questions, and ways, and even conflicting answer on what is the right way to install a fuel cell.

On my 76, I want to build a weekend racer.  I currently have an RB20 which doesn't require a lot of fuel flow, but I'm having issues with my tank and locating one that is good.  I don't have a spare tire, so the spare tire well is going to be the place that the cell will be residing.

From what I've read thus far a few threads seem to have the same answers:

Metal cage, as it sounds a 3/4-1 square tubing cage to sit the fuel cell in.

Foam (I'm assuming it's some kind of foam in the tank which made sense since I saw an option on Summit Racing)

And a roll over vent.

I've looked all over last night (for an hour or so) for this roll over vent, and how to install it.

I've also heard of issues with aluminum, and plastic tanks.

Originally, I was looking at this unit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-291210/overview/

However, it doesn't have any foam to it.  

And my biggest concern is that can I use the fittings on the bottom to feed/return my fuel?  I don't know how I feel about running fuel lines in the car.

Use the search term "rollover" at the Jegs website and you'll see what they're talking about:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/KeywordSearchCmd?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&Ntk=all&Jnar=0&Ne=1%2B2%2B3%2B13%2B1147708&searchTerm=rollover

As far as your weekend racer, what type of racing are we talking here? Drag strip? Road course? If you plan on doing any real racing with a sanctioning body like NASA or SCCA, you may need to get an FIA approved fuel cell. For doing track days, or HPDEs, most groups don't require an FIA approved cell but it would be wise to check the rules of whatever group you plan to run with just to be sure.

The inexpensive fuel cells like the one you linked to from Summit should really be thought of as a universal fit gas tank rather than a fuel cell. In most cases they are no safer than the original tank, and I'd argue that in many cases they end up being less safe because of the way they are installed, and the quality of materials used.

A few years ago I posted some similar questions as you, and the overall response from the experts was to stick with the factory tank unless you really needed a fuel cell. Not sure what problems you are having with your factory tank but like most others it is probably dirty, rusty and maybe even leaking a bit. In most cases, those problems can be fixed without spending too much money (likely less than it would cost you to buy and install an inexpensive "fuel cell").

And whatever you do, you do NOT route fuel lines through the inside of the car... they go underneath.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply, I am having the usual Z gas tank issues.  My biggest issue is that I can no longer fill over 8 gallons of gas.  I've taken the tank down a few times checked the vent lines and cannot figure it out.

I plan to do HPDE's and hopefully one day begin to do NASA.  But now it's more along the lines of I want my Z to hold more than eight gallons of gas ha ha.  I've been looking into a "wheel well cell" I can't remember who it's made by, but it is FIA legal.  That sucker is also almost seven hundred bucks :(

We have one of the summit racing cells, cant remember if its a 15 or a 20 gallon. What we did was get welded a 1X2 inch angle and its drop mounted from the inside downward so the fuel lines still run outside. Now on the side note is were not doing any form of racing on street. If your looking to do a set up like this i can get you pictures of our set up.

I have a rb25 in my S30 and recently went through venting issues with the stock tank myself.  I am using the smaller vent line as the return from my surge tank.  That only leaves me with the big vent line.  If that line gets kinked you have a really problem, in my case a volcano of full spilling out the filler. 

I used the inner hose support springs that prevent hose line from collapsing from Jegs.   I also replaced all my vent lines with new from WestMarine.  Check to make sure your vent canister is working correctly.  All this stuff is cheap compared to a racing fuel cell.  With a low pressure pump feeding a surge tank to a high pressure pump, I don't worry about throwing the car sideways. 

http://www.jegs.com/p/Earls/Earls-Pro-Lite-Inner-Hose-Support-Springs/1538547/10002/-1

I saw an ATL Sports Cell (FIA approved) in Summit Racing's scratch and dent section last week. I don't think it's damaged at all, but I could only see the top).  12 gal, built in Bosch F.I. pump, and fuel level sender w/gauge. Has a $1835 original price and it's marked $1500.

It was $1350 the prior week, when all the scratch and dent stuff was 10% off. It will be 10% off again next month, if it's still there. I was told if it didn't sell here in Ohio it would be sent to their store in Georgia,( who knows when) and then Nevada.

If anyone's interested in buying it I could check on it next month. I'd be willing to ship it to you. You can't call the store and get any info on S. & D. stuff, but I'm only a half hour away.

$1350 would be a sweet deal.

Steve