HybridZ

LS2/T56/240z Broke driveshaft at drags tonight

Broke driveshaft when the pro-tree lights flashed yellow. 2-step on 4,000, 16 psi in tires. Previous pass I did a very self-indulgent burn out for a photograph that i hope to turn into a t-shirt for my family to wear. Haven't gotten under car yet, just pulled my sad, tired ask up on the trailer and watched some more racing before heading for home. From what I can see, I broke the front end of the driveshaft and am spilling gear oil on trailer but managed to get pulled off staging area without dripping a drop. So at least nobody was mad at me. I guess of all the options, the driveshaft is the simplest of things to fix. Will get car up on jacks tomorrow and drop exhaust to determine extent of carnage. Hope the tail housing and output shaft are ok. Hope it is just the u-joint. Pics and vids to follow. Glad I installed a driveshaft safety loop. Expensive t-shirt.

Edited by RebekahsZ

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Domz, you just might be my new best friend. I'm off to church to say some prayers before I try to get it up my steep driveway to start tearing down. I'm worried more about the driveway than anything else. I knew this day would come and tried to get my wife to find a driveway that was dead car compatible, but oh, well. Maybe she will help me push.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Yes, this it's second JCI-provided driveshaft. You know, he subs them out and I don't know that he builds around racing requirements. But, the first one may have been ok, the paint was cracked over the welds and it might have been just bad paint adhesion to some flux or something. SUNNYZ-expect a phone call after i get the car out of the rain (of course!) about how to get up with the DSS. Planning to get with them on Monday.

Spent whole day working in a driving rain to get car up wicked driveway and into garage. Pulled exhaust and driveshaft on my back in a the street in front of my house. Then rolled by gravity down the street without the driveshaft slapping around in the loop and made it half way up before needing fife people to push it the rest of the way. Calling it a night, but it snapped the front yoke at the base of the splined tubular portion- splines are twisted like a barber pole. Will try to extract the tubular portion out of the tranny tomorrow-hope output shaft is ok-seal looks mint. No carnage in tranny tunnel at all-none. The safety loop did its job. Driveshaft is barely scratched. The ears on the rear yoke look to be spread a bit too so um gonna do a whole new assembly. . Looks like I need a stronger material for the yokes. U-joints are fine.

Thats good. I've seen yokes twist before, and also shatter.  I went with a chrome moly one on my car, because I never wanted to deal with it.  See... those rules can actually help you sometimes ! Lol (safety loop)

Edited by SUNNY Z

This is a family reunion weekend so I've got a house ful of people here. We usually go to my mom's house in Arkansas and harvest honey from my brother's bee hive, so it is known as Bee Weekend. All the bees died mysteriously this winter (probably just froze) so we all gathered at my house for the first annual Z weekend. I tried to give joy rides last night and work on my reaction times, etc at the same time. Got four family members fown the track before I broke. Really sucked because the temp dropped and the Mosquitos stopped biting (freakin blood thirsty vampires) right after she broke. Sky was full of heat lightening-a beautiful night. My younger daughter was riding with me and said she was proud cause I only shouted two cuss words after the Big Bang. Anyway, it will be a couple days before I can get all the video and pics downloaded and linked from YouTube. I have a house full of people thru Monday.

SUNNY-are the yokes on an aluminum driveshaft tube (between the u-joints) aluminum? Did you specify a u-joint to them? Hope to call them mon or tues. More likely tues.

Let us know what you end up using for a driveshaft. Did you use an off the shelf safety loop or make your own and can you get a picture of how you have it mounted while you're under the car next time? On a side note, there's some kind of virus or something that's been killing honey bees in large numbers all over the world. It was on the news a few months back.

SUNNY-are the yokes on an aluminum driveshaft tube (between the u-joints) aluminum? Did you specify a u-joint to them? Hope to call them mon or tues. More likely tues.

You're making this way too complicated. The shaft, and everything attached to it is aluminum. The yoke / flange is steel.  Go with the 1350 U-joints. Even a 1350 front and 1310 rear (biggest that flange allows IIRC). I went with 1350 on both ends as my pinion flange is much larger than an R200