HybridZ

s30 flooded insurance question

HaxMcJax

So my 76 280z recently got caught up in a thunder storm and has some flood damage. This happened in Las Vegas, NV while I was driving home. In short, there was so much rain I could barely see, and I drove into an intersection that was flooded. The car basically sucked in water and hydrolocked when crossing an intersection with about 3 ft deep of water. Interior was flooded as well. I had to wade to higher ground and leave the car behind until the water dissipated from the area before I got it towed home.

I have Progressive insurance, and I have comprehensive coverage that covers flood damage with a $1000 deductible. I filed a claim with them and they are most likely going to total the car and give me a check for whatever the car is worth.

Here's the deal: I don't want the car to become salvaged. Ideally, I want to keep the car without a salvage title, and get enough to restore it to (at least) a comparable condition to before it was flooded.

What should I do?

If you accept the insurance money offered for the total and then buy the car back from them state law requires them to update the title to reflect that the car was salvaged from a total loss. If you don't file a claim you can keep the car's title clean.

Don't report it. Just repair the damage.

While sitting at a red light an elderly  woman in front of me put her car in reverse when the light changed and backed into my left front fender/bumper area.  My insurance company (AAA) wanted to total my 72 240Z until I said that I was restoring the car. As soon as I said "restoring" the agent said "well in that case we will repair the damage". If the agent had decided to total  the car I would have replaced the fender and the bumper myself and not filed the claim.

The car is pretty much stock but it was clean and running. Only mods were the toyota calipers and power windows and locks. I even had the ac working.

I already filed a claim prior to my first post. They already picked up the car to take to an adjuster and inspect it. I'm just waiting for the insurance company to make a decision.

I know the motor can definitely be rebuilt and water did get inside but never reached the dash or center console. Basically I don't think its a total loss.

So if the insurance wants to total the car, can I disagree with them and get the car back?

Or if the car damage is fixable to them, will they repair it and will it still have a clean title?

I'd total the car out, get the payment (around $2200), buy the car back(about $200), fix whatever broke(or sell it and buy another one in better condition), and use the rest to upgrade the car.

I had my 280z totaled out when an old asian lady smashed in my front right fender.

It was 100% driveable, no alignment needed, i pulled out the dent, and it's been perfect fine ever since.

Apparently, a fender is more than 50% of what they value the car at.

I live in Vegas, and that's where I had my accident occur as well.

Edited by Milenko2121