HybridZ

Dyno Tuning

Stealth-Z

Dynocom 5000 Series with a 5 gas analyzer.

Sounds like a nice setup! I've used the dyno a few times and there are plenty of people here that have as well. It's a very valuable tuning tool, if used correctly.

Eh? For serial?

Typically: Setup dyno days for $25 a pull with an air/fuel readout for people who just want a sheet with numbers on it. Then learn all the various ECU's or outsource the tuning to someone else reputable on your dyno for $100/hour or so,

I've been looking for one near me, but it looks like dyno time here in NJ is more expensive too, compared to TX. $50/hour to tune it myself on a mustang dyno back there versus $200/hour here.

Partial days in SoCal are $100-125/HR

Pulls are three for $45 for (as stated above) guys who want a print out.

Whole days can be had for $500-$800 depending if you need an operator, they let you run the dyno, or if they have a lot of business.

ENGINE dynoes are something other, I tend to recall the bill for JeffP and I on the Dyno was somewhere around $1600... But they didn't have anybody else in that time period to use it, and we ran it ourselves so they didn't have to supply an operator save for one or two pulls when we complained about it not working properly. Then we had to help them fix it... so likely we got a heavy discount.

The big thing is getting people to know you are in business, start by going to local car clubs and advertising or inviting them to dyno days where you do club cars for $50 for three pulls... Have them all invite their friends. It's a nice sideline if you can get the work steadily on the weekends when YOU want to do it.

You got a dyno... I'm so temped to link JeffP to this thread.... my evil sense says I will get the "every time I talk to you it costs me $2,000!" I tend to think the dyno is more than that! LOL

Tony is correct, many many dollars spent on the dyno. I have used them all, super-flo dyno-paks mustange dyno-jet above floor and in floor setups.

The dyno is a cool thing to utilize to get a good idea of what your engine/car is doing. I also believe the best dyno for engines is an engine stand dyno. I never have gotten a good tune and then was ready for the street, there were ALWAYS lean spots in the RPM range. The car really needs to be on the move to tune it the best, but the dyno is a great place to start. Then with a few data logs, you can finish up the car tuning, but engines on the stand are a better representation of actual operating conditions, as you can control the air temp, and water temp in a lab like enviroment to get better tuning results. And if you have Tony around to point out various things happening during the pull, then your golden LOL.