HybridZ

HELP!!!! Need a TPS ASAP

Poundz9oh9

Title says it all! The one on my car failed (77 280z) and NONE of the parts sources I've checked have one! Does anybody have one that's good or can tell me where I can find one new? Car left me stranded, had to tow it to a shop and now I just need this to get the car outta there!

The TPS is a simple switch so the ecu knows if you are off idle or at full throttle.    At idle, pins 2 and 18 are connected, then just off idle, they disconnect. At 30 degree open throttle 3 and 18 connect.  So, if desparate, cut the wire to the plug on the TPS, leaving 3 inches. strip the wire ends. Pull the plug and read the numbers next to the plug terminals to get which is which.

Connect the bare ends of 2 and 18, start the car. Disconnect 2 and 18 and drive away. Drive gently all teh way home, as you won't get full enrichment. Replace TPS eventually, re-splice 3 lousy wires.

Are the 77 tps really so complicated? On my 280zx's turbo and non. They just had two contacts. Only used for idle and fuel cut off in deceleration. (When totally of throttle)

I ran for a long time without one. (Went to a 60mm) finally went to a brake light switch under the dash instead... I know weird. But it was a clean engine bay.

I hadn't looked at it, but the car will start and idle until about 1100rpms.  Anything past that it would fall on it's face.  I limped it to the shop that I was taking the car to anyway (getting exhaust welded up) and just gave them that issue too.  The tech tested the part IAW the FSM and identified that it fails at anything above idle.  Normally I'd play with it a bit, but I'm out of time, this car is going into DD status next week.  I'm HOPING that the one 280Z listed at the salvage yard still has it on it (and that it's good) to get me back up and running

I hadn't looked at it, but the car will start and idle until about 1100rpms.  Anything past that it would fall on it's face.  The tech tested the part IAW the FSM and identified that it fails at anything above idle. 

It sounds like its working as it should. closed circuit at idle and open (disconnected) everywhere else. These TPS do not work like ones of later years people are used to.

Usually its a wiring harness issue making the ECU think the TPS is still sending a "idle" signal and it will cut fuel over 2500rpm.

Test the wiring harness at the ECU side for an open signal.