HybridZ

'78 280z runs like old chevy...

And not in the good has functioning small block way. The previous owner chopped the exhaust off and ran straight pipe all the way back into a ricer can, are there adjustments I need to make to help the ECU deal with not having the back pressure? Should I just pull the exhaust and find a way to re add some back pressure?

My old Chevy ran fine.

My suggestion is be specific in WTF you car is doing...or I nominate this for shedding!

My 76 ran JUST FINE with a set of headers and a 2.5" exhaust all the ways to the can in the back.

I think your ricer can have a BBQ size exist tip. Exhaust gas from engine flow thru and slow down right at the tip and create back pressure.( I am assume you have smaller pipe from engine to the can ) . Same as water current , flow faster at narrow and slower at  larger bank. Change your ricer can or weld a brand resonator before the muffler ( help with drone and back pressure ). Just 2 cents .

Sorry about the lack of details, just got the car yesterday and have been playing around with it trying to figure out exactly how to describe the issue. Lack of power sub 3k rpm is really why it makes me think it was back pressure issue (I had a 94' celica with straight pipes that had same issue when the pipe was put on it) once it hits 3k it flys, but before then it just sounds mean.

I think your ricer can have a BBQ size exist tip. Exhaust gas from engine flow thru and slow down right at the tip and create back pressure.( I am assume you have smaller pipe from engine to the can ) . Same as water current , flow faster at narrow and slower at  larger bank. Change your ricer can or weld a brand resonator before the muffler ( help with drone and back pressure ). Just 2 cents .

Sorry about the lack of details, just got the car yesterday and have been playing around with it trying to figure out exactly how to describe the issue. Lack of power sub 3k rpm is really why it makes me think it was back pressure issue (I had a 94' celica with straight pipes that had same issue when the pipe was put on it) once it hits 3k it flys, but before then it just sounds mean.

Read up on how exhaust systems work before posting nonsense please: Exhaust Tube Sizing

I don't know that was nonsense to you. I am sorry if you found that nonsense , hopefully it made sense to other. 

I highly doubt that made sense to anyone... :rolleyes:

Again, read the exhaust sticky. This is a technical site so please leave the conjecture to yourself.

Edited by Leon