HybridZ

New Revalation in Fume Propogation into the Cabin!

Tony D

Interesting.  I guess it makes sense, but to confirm it someone that is suffering fumes (and eliminated any seal related problems) would need to run slicks to find out.  

As far as fume avoidance goes:  When I redid my exhaust, I had the tailpipes extend an inch beyond the rear bumper.  This seems to have allowed the exhaust fumes to exit far enough off the body to avoid them being sucked forward.  I have only noticed any fumes one or two times since this was done, and both times where in heavy traffic, and I drive my 240Z a LOT.  

POR-15'ing and soundproofing the interior made a big bit of difference as well, sealing any small holes that may have led into the interior.  I drove my car with the interior stripped a few times, and the fumes were borderline intolerable.  

post-29570-0-74544900-1377418847_thumb.jpg

post-29570-0-60475700-1377418878_thumb.jpg

I think Tony is on to something.  Afterall centrifugal pumps work by spinning water or air out to the side.  But, there are several modern modifications to the exhaust system that are guaranteed to cure both the resonance and fume issues our S30's are plagued with.  Tony, would you look at this modification and give us some estimate ot the power and torque increases one might see on the dyno:  Look here http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=41&zenid=9ehs7jle2c2pvk9sii32oiln83

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...