HybridZ

Clutch Disk Failure

Same thing happened to my car back in 2008 but it was a cavalier with 107k miles on the stock clutch. Broke all but 1 spring. Put a new hydraulic clutch in and I could press the clutch pedal down with my pinky finger, it was awesome!

What brand? How many miles? What hp/tq was it rated for?

This is a Monster Stage 3. Its rated to 700 ft/lb of torque at the tires... in an F body. I had about 10K miles on it, with probably 60 passes on slicks, and another 100 ish launches on the street. Actual material is still in great shape, as are the PP / FW. They all look new. So I should just be a clutch disk from being back on the road.

Well after several long conversations with monster, I bought another clutch disk. Got it installed tonight, and started putting some miles on it. 

Turns out the pilot bushing I had in the crank was bad. Either caused the disk to fail or the disk failing caused it to fail. None the less, i went back in with a bearing. All is good so far.

Took me a grand total of 3 hours to do the clutch change. From pulling it into the garage, to pulling it out. This was two sessions as well.

It was great having a trailer with a winch (or is it wench?) when I broke that driveshaft. I still think it was cool that SunnyZ limped his car home on one axle (twice)! Buy a winch and the longest ramps you can find. Also, don't get dropped axles-it sucks not being able to open my doors once the car is loaded-and I always leave my dang keys in the Z and have to do the snake charmer dance to get them out of the ignition and drive the truck home! For the most part, having a trailer has brought me good luck; kind of like how an umbrella keeps it from raining, or a condum....but I digress.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Yeah it's a winch and just put airbags on the z haha. Seriously though I'm probably going to buy an enclosed trailer with a full fold down back door like a few go kart racers I know. It's a great place to get out of the elements at the track if it's too hot or raining as well. And I second the long ramps just in case. Lowest part on my car is 4" off the ground but exhaust is yet to come...

Edited by EastTnZ

Damn I don't know what it is with some of Monster's stage 3s. Had a buddy with one that broke the springs as well, he was missing the dowels for the transmission and thought that might have caused it. My stage 3 has over 30k on it, with LOTS of slipping at the track to get good sixty foots, and lots of beating up other drivetrain parts. Granted its all been with 300-350 wheel, not the high numbers like SOME people( Read: SunnyZ) are putting out.

Last time I had my transmission apart everything still looked brand new, disc looked great, flywheel and pressure plate looked perfect.

-Will

The more I read, the more I see failures in them. They seem to hold great... just not forever.

After 350 ish city miles I let 'er eat last night. Did a big (standard) burnout on the slicks on some good concrete and left at about 4K rpm. It fell on its face. Should have left off the 2 step with my right foot to the floor! All good as it held the power.

It will get some serious abuse this weekend at the strip, but all is well for now!

Edited by SUNNY Z

Please share a report with us after the track time. I may be down for the year. Just too much family stuff going on right now. Hoping to have better brakes, exhaust cutouts, more rear tire clearance, maybe a cam, and a certification sticker to 9.99 when the tracks open on the spring.