HybridZ

Dallas area v-8 swap

Are you wanting advice or are you wanting someone to do it?  If you want someone to do it then I would highly recommend Johns Cars, 800 Jaguar Lane, Dallas, TX.  John's shop is where the JCI swap components for the LS1 swap were originally developed on my car.  They primarily specialize in Chevy V8 & transmission conversions into Jaguars and their finished product looks totally OEM.  That is the look I was going for which is why I took my '77 280Z to them back in 2003. The rest is history.  I have about 35,000 miles and 10 years on the conversion he did on my car. I could not recommend any shop more highly. Go on line to www.brokenkitty.com to learn more about them.  John is a no nonsense guy and some people get offended by how straight he says things but no one can do a better job. 

If you are looking at a V8 swap the simplest and easiest is the small block Chevy.  The LSX swap, however, is far superior if you want maximum reliability and maintainability.  It has all the modern technology that allows the new cars to pretty much run 100,000 miles with nothing but oil and filter changes.  The all aluminum V8 also is lighter than the L series straight 6 original to the Z and will move the center of gravity of the car lower and more toward the rear. 

Before you go into a shop, however, you need to have a plan as to exactly what you want to do with the car.  To do it right you don't just shove a V8 in the engine bay.  You upgrade the  differential and half shafts, you put in disc brakes all the way around and you replace the stock suspension with coil overs and adjustable struts -  and that is just for starters. 

How much are you planning to invest in the car?  Set q budget and then develop the plan around it. If you do that you won't end up redoing things like so many of us here on the forum have.

Good luck.

Edited by Phantom

• 3 weeks later...

phantom,

how much should one expect to pay johns cars to solely drop the ls1 and transmission in? i want to build my own engine and do all the other work, i just don't know if i trust myself enough to drop an LSx engine in and count on it being correct. this will be my first engine swap. thank you in advance for the info

Depends on if they supply the engine or not.  When I did it they charged me $14K.  That included about $2,400 in kit components, including an AC compressor and the CableX box to drive my speedometer.  They also provided the LS1 with it's wiring harness and the Z28 radiator fans and a T56 and a reflash of the LS1 ECU to convert it to manual from automatic, eliminate the two rear O2 sensors, and install the 2002 control parameters in place of the '98 ones on the Z28 motor that had only 3,500 miles on it.

John figures that a decent "shade tree" mechanic could do the mechanical and electrical in about 80 hours.

If you take that 80 hours and then figure what you're providing and what he's providing you should be close.  The best way though is to just go talk to him.  He probably won't want to do it but if you let him use it as a filler and tell I sent you then things could happen.  Have your plan mostly figured out before you go, though.  Get on his website (www.brokenkitty.com) and determine the specific components you want from him and what you specifically want him to do and it will go pretty well.  HIs men are real old school professionals and they'll do a great job.  You just have to be patient and respectful of their time.

Edited by Phantom