HybridZ

Is it really worth the trouble to use this cam? ?

Dat260Z

I recently picked up a 260z c-stamped "Nismo " camshaft. I am building a l28et and plan on bolting up my p90 head. As I read about swapping an early camshaft onto a later head i realize that I need to get a spray bar from an earlier head to lubricate the camshaft. And I can't help but wonder, is it really worth the trouble to use this cam? I can't seem to find any numbers as to how much this camshaft will benefit my turbo engine. Any help is greatly appreciated !
Thanks

-Brad

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
title

Boosted motors use cams designed for them. Don't use an NA cam for a turbo motor.

I thought this also once, but it is incorrect. Stock NA cams offer a power increase over the stock turbo cam while still playing reasonably well with stock engine management.

If you have the ability to tune, get a cam matched to your application. If it is all you have on hand, run it. Just don't expect huge power.

Edited by ctc

Boosted motors use cams designed for them. Don't use an NA cam for a turbo motor.

Big Performance High-Overlap N/A Cams don't work well with TURBOCHARGERS (but mechanically driven super chargers like em BOOSTED!)

Stock NA cams work exceedingly well on boosted motors. Yes, you can get more from a custom grind...but if you don't want the expense of high-lift springs, and NA cams work well enough.

What goes for turbos, doesn't necessarily go for "boosted" by other means!

That said, I'd pack that Nissan Japan Core up in a second and ship it to Isky for a purpose built custom grind.

If you're fretting about adding a spray bar...skip the custom grind, you will be overcome with The Vapors and faint dead away!

Edited by Tony D

Thanks for the input guys..I don't plan on doing any headwork right off the bat so I've got some time to decide what exactly I want to do..that will also give me time to save some $. I will be running my SDS engine management, this build is not bare bones by any means so I don't mind spending the money for a custom grind cam and stiffer springs and other goodies. I've heard from a couple sources that it is good cam for turbo applications "if you can find one" and I just so happend to stumble across one for a old deal that's why I picked it up and here I am regretting it ..oh well :/ at least it was cheap :0

• 2 weeks later...