HybridZ

Thread Pitch

Does anyone know the thread pitch and size for the 4 bolts that hold the Cross member and front lower rear control arms to the body? I think they are 3/8 20 but I wanted to make sure.

If this is a Nissan 240Z or 280Z, it will most likely be metric thread.  They were made in Japan.  3/8 20 is not a metric designation.

Sorry, I seem to be trolling.  Hard to resist.

So, you're implying that the JIS automotive standard is not based on the metric system?  Are you saying that the OP's bolts could actually be 3/8-20?  I'd love to learn something new, and that would be an interesting odd fact.  No expert myself, but all of the threaded pieces I've looked at on my Z were based on the metric measurement system.  Seems like a good, general, starting assumption that would probably help the OP in the long run.

I'm still a troll...

A M10 bolt with a 1.25 pitch is called a fine thread pitch . It is very well included into the norm.

Regular pitch for M1 is indeed 1.5.

A general comment:

- Suspension bolts are all fine thread pitch

- Motor bolts are all regular metric thread pitch.

I've changed them all all my car, they're all in metric form.

You have to know that only Brits & US people are not using metric system, everybody else in the world in using metric (even GM & Ford are using metric now!)

There is the standard / regular metric system (ISO metric) and then there is JIS metric, they both scale differently.

Also, here in the UK we use metric for most smaller measurements but imperial for speeds / long distances, it's kind of messed up!

[EDIT] ISO vs JIS: http://www.libertyfastener.com/Guide%20to%20information/Metric%20Thread%20Pitch%20Table.pdf

Edited by morbias