HybridZ

LS1, T5 6 what speedometer are you using

^^^  thanks for the response, I also need info on this. Is there a code for a bad speed sensor, when I scan the system no code came up, the speed box those get juice , speedo cable is fine and connected to both ends . This is why I believe the box is fried  :icon5:

Speedhut GPS Speedometer or Autometer Speedometer (mechanical) was the general consensus when I was searching for a gauge setup.

I bought speedhut and am waiting on them to come in. Ihiryu can get a deal on them. I got the gps speedo and the tach but sourced other gauges for the 3 small ones.

Edited by EastTnZ

If I had it to do over again I'd modify the tailshaft on the T56 to have a mechanical output to continue using my stock speedo.  I didn't do that originally.  Kept the electronic output on the T56 and have it running to a CableX converter that then drives the mechanical cable to my stock speedo.  The CableX box is in the driver's kick panel where the stock 280Z ECM used to be.  I've been running the CableX for 10 years and 34,000 miles and it still works fine.

If I had it to do over again I'd modify the tailshaft on the T56 to have a mechanical output to continue using my stock speedo.  I didn't do that originally.  Kept the electronic output on the T56 and have it running to a CableX converter that then drives the mechanical cable to my stock speedo.  The CableX box is in the driver's kick panel where the stock 280Z ECM used to be.  I've been running the CableX for 10 years and 34,000 miles and it still works fine.

The one on my Z is 10 yrs old with about 35K , thinking on getting an 2 5/8" GPS speedo gauge and placing it in the clock cavity , keeping the rest of the originals in place >>post-36683-0-31222400-1383175595_thumb.jpg .Opinions are welcome  :icon12:

Edited by PLATA

I second just fixing what you have. Send the abbot box in for testing and if its not that it can only be a couple things. it would be harder to change a gauge out when its not really necessary, unless its your original speedometer that's bad, which I'm sure you can find one to replace that too.

How instantaneous is the GPS speedo? Sometimes I check speed before rolling into a corner to know if I'm coming in too hot. Will it keep up with a car traveling at 100mph or more, or is there a few second lag? Does it take a while to find 5 satellites, etc? Tell me to search if you like.

How instantaneous is the GPS speedo? Sometimes I check speed before rolling into a corner to know if I'm coming in too hot. Will it keep up with a car traveling at 100mph or more, or is there a few second lag? Does it take a while to find 5 satellites, etc? Tell me to search if you like.

Well it can take up to 30 seconds to acquire the satellites on start up, but if you add consistent power to a certain harness it will keep your last know gps position so the acquisition is faster. I didnt wire that feature in because I never jump in my car, fire it up and take off. For responsiveness Id wager sensor or mechanical is more reliable for real time speed input. But we are talking milliseconds here, my eyes cant register the difference. I dont notice any sort of input lag on the SpeedHut. I stab the throttle and the speedo moves, all the way up so far 119mph when I ran out of gearing. Its never jerked or lagged out and works at low speeds, something my mechincal speedo never did. I can change my final gear, rear gear or tire height and not worry about my speedo being off. The only issue I can see the SpeedHut running into is if you live in an area that has extremely poor gps signal.

SpeedHuts are good to go.

Edited by The Infidel

Sorry guys, I would never put a GPS speedometer into a competition car.  There will be lag because that signal is traveling a looonnngg way.  Even the CableX translator isn't that great.  Nothing beats a straight electrical output to electrical input speedo or a standard mechanical connection all the way.

The alternative is to drive off your tach if you encounter the same situation over and over again.

Edited by Phantom

Who has time to look at the speedo while racing anyways? lol.  I went with GPS so I didn't have to deal with any more linkages and connections no matter how easy they are.

And mine should be here friday! Can't wait for the Speedhut gauges!  Checkout the group buy and get a discount (10% off and free shipping from the factory I believe)