HybridZ

dying out at high rpms while driving

datson240z

I have noticed as I drive my 72 240z with an E88 engine when I attempt to drive the car hard the engine starts to slow down and it starts to stutter and when it starts to do so I'll floor the gas pedal it and it wont respond to the gas pedal until I release the pedal slow down then it drives fine. It tends to die out more often when going up hills. My idea is the fuel pump isn't giving enough gas or the distributor isn't giving enough spark but I'm not sure what is the problem. Any ideas?

Pretty much sounds like it's leaning out. Tune your carbs? Check out your spark plugs, if they're ashy and gray looking then it's running lean.

So wait - aren't you the guy that is still doing auto mechanics 101 and now you are giving advice.

Not sure you want to do that -especially here. You need to learn your own car before trying to help others.

I'm just saying that if you are paying outside help to do BASIC auto tech , then you SHOULDN'T be giving advice

I found that my EFI 280z was having the same problem. My problem was that when going up a hill or really standing on the throttle from a start, the gas would sloth backwards for just a second, allowing the pump to make little air bubbles in the fuel line. I am planning on switching to a fuel cell with a sump in the very near future. good luck with the Z!

My first fuel supply problem I found what looked like sand in my banjo fitting strainers where the fuel lines enter the carbs. Super easy to clean out. Have no idea how that crap got past the filter...I think it was actually pulverized flakesof grime from inside the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

So wait - aren't you the guy that is still doing auto mechanics 101 and now you are giving advice.

Not sure you want to do that -especially here. You need to learn your own car before trying to help others.

I'm just saying that if you are paying outside help to do BASIC auto tech , then you SHOULDN'T be giving advice

I know I'm still learning, but I know enough at this point to suggest that he might have a lean mixture. And I reluctantly paid a shop to do redo hacked up wiring because the state it was in was beyond me and I didn't have the time to fix that part myself. I'm not taking it to another more shops from this point on, that was a one time deal with specific circumstances.

• 1 month later...

Well actually my plugs were black my car was running too rich I've done the whole nine with my SUs clean them rebuilt them lubericate all that needed to be air screws idle screw all good! Also I have checked my fuel filter it's good but I do have to change it often for there was clean in my tank that I cleaned out. Plus I might have forgot to mention it's an autozone fuel pump from china so I'm not sure. Thank you guys though!