HybridZ

What is this relay?

Hey guys, I lost the key to my datsun, removed the electrical part of the switch from the lock cylinder and got it running. Yay. Now, my radio was acting funny, power on everything but no screen and it wouldnt turn off. Ohwell. My "fasten seat belts" light was flickering with no pattern so I disconnected it. Now, this relay under the passenger side dash above the fuse panel is clicking strangely even when the key is off. I don't know what this relay is for, and typing the numbers on google doesn't give me anything. The car sat for about 5 or 6 weeks before I just now fired it up. What does this relay do, where can I get a replacement, and can I drive the car without it? I'm assuming its shorting out. Never did this before. Heres a pic:

IMG_2112_zps868e93c0.jpg

Sorry guys I was out driving the Z all day (turns out that relay apparently isn't imparative for the car to run  :icon47: Anyway, I dun goofed and forgot to mention is a 1976 280Z

It's a timer unit.........most likely for the seat belt warning system.

That would make sense, the seat belt warning like was flickering in tune with the relays clicking (didn't hit me until now cause I disconnected the light before I noticed the relay acting up). Either way, the car hasn't given me trouble all day so I'm gonna leave it. 

I'll get a better shot of the whole panel tomorrow either way just in case, who knows, it could be the reason my dash lights don't work (although I think thats the dimmer switch). 

Heres a picture of a relay block I found on eBay and I did some crappy editing but you get the idea

relayblock_zpsd380d21e.jpg

Anyway, I found out the hard way that my blinkers were out (I knew, but hey, officer friendly thought I didn't) yes that is a one off fiberglass black dash

IMG_2160_zps0a957dd5.jpg

While I was digging around fixing my blinkers I found this unmounted hanging relay and am not sure what it does however one wire was not connected. I connected it, and cannot find any differences (dash lights still don't work) so I don't know what it is but insight on this relay also would be much appreciated

IMG_2165_zps20b64047.jpg

IMG_2164_zps4cb488dd.jpg

As noted in a previous post, you'll need the FSM for that.  Try the Body Electrical (BE) chapter.  The wiring diagram and wire colors offer clues also.  Most people don't see their relays unless they stop working,and they don't fail that often.  Even if they do, a few weeks after you fix them they all look the same again.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/

Well I hooked up the connections on the relay and turned on the key, nothing happened, but when I started the car I heard a "beep....beep...beep...beep" and then it stopped so I'm assuming its a sort of key buzzer. Cool. Now if only my dash lights worked. I tried a spare (tested good) dimmer switch, not the problem. I don't seem to be getting power to the dimmer switch so I'm gonna run a jumper wire and see what happens.

Since dash lights were connected to the original radio and possibly the fascia around it, I see tons of cars with those green with white strip wires shorting to ground because they were no longer needed and the person doing the work didn't properly cover them.

I got the car with the dash lights not working and the stock radio was still installed and working fine, I pulled the stock radio (without cutting any harness wires, new one was completely rewired in). Their still not working, I blew a fuse running a jumper wire to one post of the dimmer switch, and didn't get a chance to run power to the other post. I also can't find any of my spare fuses.