HybridZ

Hoping for some help with S13->240x rear caliper brake lines.

I feel like an idiot for asking for help on this- But here goes. 

Did some typical digging/searching, but to be completely honest, Im pretty ignorant on this stuff and have *no* clue where to begin, so it makes searching rather difficult.  I wouldnt be surprised if this has been covered before I just dont know where to begin to look to find the answer, if you know of a thread that has this *please* point me in the right direction.

So my situation:  Ive had my 240z for some time now, and had a set of SS brake lines for the car.  I recently start doing a s13 rear caliper swap on it-  And now were at the part where we install the brake lines.  Of little surprise, the s13 caliper has a different fitting than the stock 240z drums.  I was originally intending on getting a set of the Modern Motorsports brake lines, as Ross had a bolt in kit made for just such a thing.  As many now know, this isnt really a possibility anymore (Well miss you, Ross).

My question: Can I modify my SS braided lines i currently have (Theyre the MSA set, if that matters) to use the proper banjo set up on the caliper end?  If so, more specifically, does anyone know what fittings Id need/have suggestions on where to get them? 

Do any suppliers have ready to go sets of these things?

Am I better off just starting from scratch?  Similar questions as my first one here-  Can someone point me at what parts if need to make this work?

Again I apologize for my ignorance-  And as always wish to thank everyone for their help.  Id love to hear from someone whos gone down this path themselves.  Thank you everyone :)

Know I know you live in Australia, but yes it it possible to modify ss lines. There is a shop in my hometown that specializes in an fitting, ss line, and hydraulic lines (along with various other Aeronautical oddities) that would be able to modify it no problem. I'm sure you can find a shop or race shop that can do it local to you.

And you don't need to use a banjo line to the s13 caliper. Just find the right fitting and have the shop chop off your wrong side and press on the new fitting.

First study how the MM 240SX caliper install is done.  Many posts on the subject.

Install  Earl's 10mm x 1.0 metric to AN adaptors on the ends of your hard lines where the hoses connect. This will allow you to use -3 AN SS flex lines that are available in a variety of lengths and connector configurations.

Depending how you want to configure the flex lines you will need:

• Hard line metric to -3 AN adaptor fittings (10mm x 1.0mm  inverted flare).  Depending on how you plumb things you may need male and/or female hard line adaptors. Be sure they are inverted flare.
  • -3 SS hose of the correct length.  Allow for full extension on the suspension. Move the suspension though full range of motion to make sure the SS lines don't get pinched, rubbed or over extended.
  • Hose ends of your choice: banjo, streight, swivel, elbo etc. Depending on the hose end you may need to buy -3 AN to 10mm x 1.0mm caliper adaptor fittings.

or

• Use premade 10mm x 1.0mm -3 SS lines with banjo fittings as in the MM kit (See picture). Note that male and female -3 AN to 10mm x 1.0  metric adaptors are required. MM used Goodridge brand flex lines. Earl's has the banjo flex lines.

Recommend that you continue searching in the brake section as there have been many discussions about plumbing options for the 240SX caliper install and how to configure AN lines.

Earl's: http://www.holley.com/Index.asp?division=Earls

post-178-0-35916100-1386105965_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles

I feel like an idiot for asking for help on this- But here goes. 

Did some typical digging/searching, but to be completely honest, Im pretty ignorant on this stuff and have *no* clue where to begin, so it makes searching rather difficult.  I wouldnt be surprised if this has been covered before I just dont know where to begin to look to find the answer, if you know of a thread that has this *please* point me in the right direction. Keep searching.  Read all of the brake FAQs to learn search terms.

So my situation:  Ive had my 240z for some time now, and had a set of SS brake lines for the car.  I recently start doing a s13 rear caliper swap on it-  And now were at the part where we install the brake lines.  Of little surprise, the s13 caliper has a different fitting than the stock 240z drums.  I was originally intending on getting a set of the Modern Motorsports brake lines, as Ross had a bolt in kit made for just such a thing.  As many now know, this isnt really a possibility anymore (Well miss you, Ross).

My question: Can I modify my SS braided lines i currently have (Theyre the MSA set, if that matters) to use the proper banjo set up on the caliper end?  No. You can get the proper lines from Earl's. If so, more specifically, does anyone know what fittings Id need/have suggestions on where to get them?  See above post.

Do any suppliers have ready to go sets of these things? No. You will have to install meteric to -3 adaptors and either buy flex lines with banjo fittings or buy flex lines and add the fittings of your choice. Earl's has evertthing you need. You will also need to buy a hard line as noted below.

Am I better off just starting from scratch?  Yes. Similar questions as my first one here-  Can someone point me at what parts if need to make this work?

See above post. The MM 240SX kit included two pre-made banjo SS flex lines and one (1) 10mm x 1.0mm female  to female adaptor (male on each end of adaptor) that screwed into the T fitting on the passenger side which connected   a 19 in. flex line to the passenger caliper.

For the driver's side, the customer had to supply a 20 in. hard line from the T block to the driver's side which connected to a 16 in. SS flex line to the caliper. 

The MM 16 in. SS flex  line had a female connector that attached to the 20 in. hard line. The hard line is available from a parts store. 

You have to figure out how to run and anchor the hard line. Hint you can re-use the brake line brackets located on the rear hubs that the drum flex lines connected to.

Note: if possible make your own hard line as the parts store line is a bit too short.

There are other ways to plumb the MM 240SX calipers if you are able to make your own hard lines. I ran hard lines to the top of the arch in the frame on both sides and then a short flex line from the hard line to the caliper on each side. 

Again I apologize for my ignorance-  And as always wish to thank everyone for their help.  Id love to hear from someone whos gone down this path themselves.  Thank you everyone :)

Edited by Miles

Know I know you live in Australia, but yes it it possible to modify ss lines. There is a shop in my hometown that specializes in an fitting, ss line, and hydraulic lines (along with various other Aeronautical oddities) that would be able to modify it no problem. I'm sure you can find a shop or race shop that can do it local to you.

And you don't need to use a banjo line to the s13 caliper. Just find the right fitting and have the shop chop off your wrong side and press on the new fitting.

Live here, but my cars in the states :) Short story is Ive been in a 8 year long distance relationship- Moved here a couple of years ago for the next big step, but my project car is back home with my family and I tinker with it a couple of times a year when I go home for vacation.

Bluedestiny and Miles- Id like to thank both of you, youve answered my questions pretty clearly.  Its people like you that make this community the great place it is.