HybridZ

l28 rebuild

Guest Anonymous

Norm covered the one area I left out, and was saving for later. I used to do the NA thing and had side drafts. I got tired of all the valve adjustments, and breaking pistons and rings, and swapped in a turbo engine. Left it stock for a couple years and then put a conquest intercooler in it.

I never adjusted the valves, it made more power, and I never broke stuff. I went from having the power to beat a stock 5.0 to being able to annilate one.

We can give you the formula, whether you follow it is up to you. Going this route is high maintenance, and you should be prepared for that as well.

You need to go the P series head route. As Bob said, you should look for that thread and read it, it is probably just a couple pages back. It has ton's of info that are useful.

That is the benefit of a forum like this. You can ask questions, and people who have done it answer and tell you what they found out. Saves you the time and expense of wasting your efforts in unproductive area's.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

okay, lets talk hypothetically, im not really looking for the turbo route in my '72...but lets just say for fun....

I swap in the zxt...how hard is it? is it well documented? give me details...

It is pretty well documented, and not that bad, although it is easier for me to deal with if the car is in front of me instead of over the internet. You need the engine with all the fuel injection, ecu, wiring harness from the ecu, AFM, and the coil with ignitor.

Get a factory manual, and have at it.

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Well I have raced 6 different guys with webbers and stomped everyone of them ,even when I had the 2.8L.In fact years ago I stomped a buddy of mine with my stock 2.4L and he was running a 2.8L with triple webbers.

There is only one guy in Austraila I know of that ran 12's with webbers and he had so much custom stuff inside his engine and it was in a 240Z race car so that really isn't an apples to oranges comparison in my book.

I've NEVER been beaten yet by a street driven webber equipped Z.

Webbers are a very nice way to waste fuel though....................hehe.

LAter,norm

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

That's the idea. I think they work best on a hot cammed motor where you can safely turn the motor to 8000 rpm in order to take advantage of the extra breathing potential.

Later,norm

Guest Anonymous

oh yeah norm a few more questions...

I have a 50-75 shot of nitrous in mind for this set up. I know a guy who can hook me up with the jets for the webbers. Is there anything i should do internally so i don't blow **** up?

What clutch should i use (i think my 6'3" 260+ lbs body can handle the pedal pressure of a stonger clutch), i plan on doing a little bit of street racing, even less strip (i gotta at least get a slip right), but mostly daily driving.

i plan on using a 4.11 or a 3.9, whats your personal preferance? and how much weight does an r200 add to the equation.

My car is a '72 and the door jam says it weighs 2850, i know thats with all fluids and driver, passenger, full tank a gas and luggage. How much does it weight by itself? i always heard the last '72's weighed 2280lbs baron.

With the 50-75 shot (dry), could i get into the 12's or is this just a waste of effort?

a lot of question, hope you got some time.

thanx ed.

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

My advice is to get forged pistons if you are planning on using Nitrous with a 10:1 CR motor.

As far as hitting 12's goes it just depends on your total combo.

Obviously if I can do it with NO Nitrous then you should be able to hit 12's with nitrous if everything else is equal.

I run a beefed up Dual Friction Centerforce clutch that has 9 pressure plate drivestraps instead of the usual 6.

Later,norm

Originally posted by Eddy:

[QB]I have a 50-75 shot of nitrous in mind for this set up. I know a guy who can hook me up with the jets for the webbers. Is there anything i should do internally so i don't blow **** up?

With the 50-75 shot (dry), could i get into the 12's or is this just a waste of effort?

[QB]

This is an interesting thread, but this question caught me - how do you run a dry shot with CARBS?? Would you run way lean with the shot, or way rich when not juicing it?

Guest Anonymous

the reason im going to run a dry shot is because i can't find anyone who can setup wet shot and webbers...i don't know why, but it just doesn't seem to happen...anywho, it still adds power right?

Guest Anonymous

i was thinking of somehow hooking up 6 small injectors to over fuel the engine while running N20, but have yet to discuss it with my guy at queen city (a hardcore musclecar place).

Alright, time for me to turn into the ass, since you haven't been listening.

There is a really cool button at the top of the page. It is right between register and FAQ. It is called:

SEARCH!

And I quote:

I swap in the zxt...how hard is it? is it well documented? give me details...
That has been covered, on average, about once a week for the last year - every single detail you could possibly think of, even water injection and blow off valves. You really don't even have to do a search, but scroll back a few pages. All of us here take time from our day to ask and answer questions. We're not going to sit here and give you all the details when it has been done several times over. It is a waste of yours and our time. Look at what other people, who have already done it, have said and posted. Then, come back and ask more specific questions. I'm raggin on you because I already said it once before, but your questions show you haven't even touched the search.

My standard comment, eat more wheaties if I am hurting your feelings, it is nothing personal.

Next, you talk about wanting to run 13's,(now revised to low 13's), but want a daily driver? We told you turbo is the way to go. To run 13's NA,(Norm has, I have, and a very few others), you will spend a fair amount of money, lots of time, and will break things. I am on my third transmission, and I don't go to the dragstrip all the time! You can spend a lot of money building up the internals of your motor to handle the naws,(flips Fast and furious hat off) or similar, but why? It is a huge expenditure of money for a very small return. If you really like wasting money, I can give you my account number and you can send a few thousand my way. It is the same effect.

I quoth again:

could i get into the 12's or is this just a waste of effort?

Again, already been answered. And to back up the last question, you can't run a dry system with carbs. It must be wet unless you have some magical way to make the carbs dump more fuel into the motor.

And Norm, gotta address that last comment on webers. You never raced me! :D

Actually, yours is faster, but it would be interesting to see you drive mine as if it were yours to see what it would run. I feel sure I am putting more power to the ground. But I expect with my 2.1 second 60 foot times to run in the low 13's when I get back on the track. I ran 13.7/13.8 with the open 3.54 and crappy street tires. Now it has good tires and the 3.9 with a gleason and the better ratio's of the T5. But 95%+ of weber carb'd L6 motors are NOT tuned to their potential, so that comment was misleading. I have driven several that sounded fast, but most certianly were not any faster than a 2.4 with SU's. And I am refering to 2.8's.... Now stick your motor with a good set of well tuned webers, now that would be a good comparison!

Bob

The Search Nazi

Alright, time for me to turn into the ass, since you haven't been listening.

There is a really cool button at the top of the page. It is right between register and FAQ. It is called:

SEARCH!

Well, Bob; normally I would agree with you, the search is a very useful tool, but you may want to take a look at this thread:

Search Broken

The thread was started almost 2 weeks ago, and as of a couple days ago the search was still not functioning.

Might want to go a little easy on the guy instead of becoming the (self-proclaimed) ass about it

Fair enough if it were broken. However, it worked for me. Before I typed that message, I tried the search to make sure the topics he was asking about were there. Before I shoot of my mouth, I usually check and double check what I am saying. They are, over 200 results for turbo alone in this forum.

However, to search all the forums, I have never had luck with that, long before the problem was reported.

If he had searched, it would be easy to rebuff me and make me really look like an ass by saying that the person tried the search and it wasn't working,(and would have garnered a quick apology from me). People have posted that way before, i.e. hey, tried to do the search, but its not working. gotta question... Besides, you don't need the search to go back a few pages and see what has been posted for the last month or two.

The only topic not really covered well by the search or looking back some pages is the NOS question. That is why I answered it.

Not everyone likes my method, but take it as akin to James, (240z turbo - he may not like the comparison smile.gif ). Bottom line, I am usually nice the first time, but put it stronger the second time.

-Bob

Good point Bob, I did not check the search before I posted--but have now, and for me, it is not working--but I chalk that up to problems I've been having for awhile, since installing Netscape7

I'll freely admit, it bugs me sometimes when it appears people are putting absolutely ZERO effort into research, just coming in and asking for the answers. Saw that happen all the time while I was in the Navy, and it drove me nuts back then

So I guess I can see where you are coming from smile.gif

as the topic slowly drifts off topic...

Netscape! ACK! puke.gif

Loved it when it first came out,(1,2,3), not anymore. It is akin to AOL for me, too bulky and akward. The one thing I do like about Netscape though is the favorites and how they go to another column when you are full top to bottom,(vice having to scroll down when you have tons of links).

You saw people in the Navy trying to get all the answers with no work? Where? I NEVER see that! :rolleyes:

Bob

Navy pilot type.