HybridZ

turbo or v8

evildky

ok this is what i am doing. n42 bottom end from 77z and p90 head from 82zx turbo. turbo exhaust madifold. 280zx turbo harness, ecu, and maf. my turbo oil pan would not clear my oil pickup so i have to use non-turbo one but it has to be modified for turbo oil supply. if you have any questions just email me and i can tell you what else i got done plus i am taking pic. of it.

ps. are you the guy that bought my springs

thanks for the info makes enough sence, turbo head and complete system on a higher compression block should yield more than the 180? that the turbo's came with but how much more, as I stated I need 300whp minimum, I was thinking that combo without additional mods was only good for about 250 chp ? just trying to get a clear idea of which route is yeild the desired results with the minimum expense

Originally posted by evildave:

thanks for the info makes enough sence, turbo head and complete system on a higher compression block should yield more than the 180? that the turbo's came with but how much more, as I stated I need 300whp minimum, I was thinking that combo without additional mods was only good for about 250 chp ? just trying to get a clear idea of which route is yeild the desired results with the minimum expense

The power you make depends on the air you jam into it. Stock boost will not get you 300hp. You need an intercooler, and a way to fuel that hungry puppy. With stock injectors and an intercooler you can get 250hp from that setup easy. 300hp is possible, but I would not push it without a good engine management and bigger than stock injectors.

If you are not going to use a turbo shortblock, and pop for a bigger turbo and intercooler and some sort of engine management to control a set of bigger injectors, you should go the V-8 route.

I don't like the idea of going after 300 whp on NA pistons. Some may disagree with me, but what is the point of having 300 hp if you break your car and can't enjoy it?

You should probably plan on a stouter clutch too. An NA clutch will not hold a turbo engine for long at all. I would recommend the 2+2 flywheel or the turbo flywheel and the 300ZXT clutch at minimum for the L6 if turbocharged.

with p90 head on n42 compresion comes out to be like 7:5:1. so its very good for turbo duty. no i stock turbo cant make 300rwh. you are looking at t3/t4,very good i/c, some svo 390cc injectors, good downpipe and at least 3 inch exhaust, and of course good afthermarket fuel pump.

I don't like the NA pistons in the N42 engine. They are not designed to be turbo charged, and are different from the turbo piston. That is the ONLY issue I have with going that route.

300 WHP is alot, close to 400 crank, and at that level, you have to have very good engine management and proper fueling in order for an engine to live for a while.

You can hit it with the stock set-up, and I know people who have done it, but they were replacing the engines every so often, and that doesn't lend itself to keeping costs down.

Forged pistons would be a much better way to go, and probably don't cost as much as a replacement engine, even one from the junkyard after you factor in time, inconvenience and the extra stuff you always need when replacing an engine.

Spend the money and do it right the first time, or you have to keep redoing it. Thats my philosophy anyway.

Someone else care to weigh in? James?????

I think you just hit your road block EvilDave... The sophisticated FMU/ ECU just spent your $2003 budget... My recommendation is to do the Small block BV8 for THIS particular challenge... You are cash limited and that is the major hurdle. 300Wheel Horsepower Won't be cheap anyway you go.

Mike