HybridZ

13" wheels on a 240Z?

So, I found a sweet deal on some roller wheels and tires for my 240Z: 5 corvair 13" steelies with tires for $80.

I go to pick them up later today, but now I'm wondering if they'll fit on the rims with the brakes.

Is it just too small to fit? I wouldn't be driving it, only using them to roll it around the drive way and such. The Enkei 92 knock offs go back on when we will drive it.

Should I abort and start looking for some different ones?

Here are the wheels/tires in question:

00404_4IBHjk2v4ef_600x450.jpg

Definitely not drivers, for sure, you just went in reverse! Those are non-safety bead rims. They "were" a hot ticket for 510's when Pre-65 Corvair rims offered a $5 swap to a 5" wide rim opposed to the Stock Datsun 4 1/2". They may fit...you can always reverse mount them for simple rollers.

In fact, my 60 Corvair has Datsun Steelies on it...

And my 66 Corsa runs on later model Corvette Ralleye Rims...

Those early 'Vair rims were not a hot ticket on Z's... But Z rims were in fashion on Vairs as it seemed nobody kept the steel wheels on their 240's!

That being said, I did run 13x7 rims with slicks on both my 240 and 280ZX. They BARELY fit, but offered considerable grip and width advantages over the stock Datsun Rims

Also turned my 3.90 gearset into about a 4.80 gearset by virtue of the 13-20X8.00 slicks on them!

If you thought your Z had "short" gears before....

They might be good for AutoX where you want to change the gear ratio, but you need a better rim width than 5" to get any advantage considering the 6 spoke Datsun Alloys are all over and are an inch wider!

With a safety bead on them.

Edited by Tony D

I'll second Tony D's recommendation for 13 inchers as autocross wheels.  They lower the car, lower your overall gear ratio, and reduce the unsprung weight.  I have a light set of aluminum 13x8 wheels with sticky Hoosiers that I use for auto-x.

That being said, I'd recommend a cheap set of ANY stock Z wheels for your fabrication and roller needs...they can be found all over Z forums and Craigslist for next to nothing.

Good luck.

Jon, that's true...depending on wheel offset and design.  

My aluminum mags have enough negative offset (i.e. low backspacing, high "lip") that they clear the calipers without any grinding required.

Others, like steel racing wheels, might not require as much neg offset if they are of a thin design and manufacture.

Finally, one can always use wheel adapters and spacers to move the wheel out away from the brake hardware.