HybridZ

hydraulic lifter cleaning

David K

hey i cant find a place anywhere that i can buy new lifters for the p90a head. anyway im really not into buying new ones since i heard they never have to be replaced.

How do i clean these suckers? im gonna take them off and soak them in deisel fuel for like 3 days and then scrub.

what have you guys done to replenish these lifters?

92awdgsx has info on his site about the cleaing of the mitsu. hyd lifters. The same really applies to our lifters. Kinda what you are talking about, or you can use a bottle of techron. Then you need to compress the lifters repeatedly until they operate smoothly. Realize they are not easy to compress, that ain't no small spring in there!

After a day of soaking, see if you can compress them. Then do it several times a day throughout the next day or two.

-Bob

Guest Anonymous

David, you've found the same problem I've found: No NOS (new old stock) hydraulic lifters anywhere in North America. I found 2 available through a dealer in Canada, but he would've had to ship them both from Japan at over $100 apiece -- and that was 2 years ago.

They DO wear out, I'm told. (Anybody else heard that, or is that really just myth?)

That's why I was figuring on converting my P90A to solid lifters. To do this, all you need is 12 bolts of the proper size to fit the hyd. lifter boss, then drill and tap for the solid lifters (which are smaller than the hydr. lifters.

Anyone know where replacement hyd. lifters can be found and preferably not for $100+ per?

Alex in VA

Guest Anonymous

Sounds weird but we used to put a little ATF in our oil and let that run through the lifters on the old straight six chevy's I used to work on. It often worked, ATF has a bit more of a detergent property I'm assuming, but at any rate, old shadetree trick. (by a little, I mean like a .5 quart or something)

Regards,

Lone

yup, ATF does the trick...except when I changed my oil last time, I drained all the old oil, filled the care car up with ATF and ran it for about 20 min at idle. The ATF has a lot of detergents in it and it really does a good job cleaning up the inside of your motor, and your lifters. I haven't had any problems with my lifters since. When I was done of course I drained the atf (it now looked almost black) and filled it back up with mobile 1 synthetic.

James

Risilone is supposed to be good for sticking, ticking lifters in a v8.

I checked into replacing hydraulic lifters when I had a p90a, and I could get all I wanted at the time, for like 65 bucks each. Did not take me long to realize that a solid lifter head was the way to go.

I would soak in kerosene.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, but how long ago was that, Lockjaw? As of 2 years ago, there were only 2 left via Nissan and those 2 were in Japan, for +$100 per! frown.gif

But, if they can be cleaned and don't wear out very fast, there's lots available in junkyards. smile.gif2thumbs.gif

• 3 weeks later...

HLA = Hydraulic Lash Adjuster = What we are calling lifters

Ok...

I was just outside ripping apart my P90A headed engine and decided to take apart some HLA's just to see if there were any differences.

The Datsun HLA's work very similiar to Mitsubishi's with a few exceptions to their design.

First, I was very suprised to find that the HLA's are encased in a type of 'body' with a small ring holding the lifter inside (easily removed with a small flattipped screwdriver allowing access to the internal HLA). I was also suprised at just how small the oil feed inlet to the actual lifters are.

This leads me to a few new ideas about the lifters.

1) Enlarge the oil passage hole leading into the lifter body(Mitsubishi did this on the later Eclipses with a very positive effect)

2) Remove the lifter from the body and install a high pressure spring underneath the actual lifter so that it will always apply pressure against the rocker arm (which is basically all the oil pressure does anyway)

3) Install a shim between the HLA body and the cylinder head, raising the HLA body up slightly applying more pressure against the rocker arm.

I'm still thinking about this whole lifter thing and am looking into other P90A possibilities.

There has got to be a better/cheaper/easier solution than paying $65/ea. for new lifters.