HybridZ

Found a "soup can" brake duct on my car...

I bought an early 260Z on friday and got working on the car today.  I found what appears to be a brake duct fabricated from a Campbell's style soup can.  This car certainly has an interesting race history.  Figured I would share this past racer's solution... thought you all might enjoy it!

IMG_20140510_141105_210_zps88a1cac6.jpg

IMG_20140510_141054_247_zpsa5794402.jpg

Edited by mattster03

Race history...we don't allow racist comments on hybridz.

Seriously, that's great. I over-complicate everything so i admire a guy who tries a simple solution. Can you tell if the previous builder did have it ducted to the airdam at one time? I could certainly see how someone might just delete the ducting after knocking it off in the paddock, running over it, them getting frustrated and saying "screw it!" Or "can it."

haha... pun intended? There is no ducting on the car currently, but there easily could have been... lots missing from up front. I do appreciate the simple solution... lots of other cool old school stuff on this car and hoping for more :)

katman, who built a number of successful ITS Z cars, described the soup can ducting mod here probably 8 or 10 years ago. The problem is with solid rotors most Z's have the duct hitting just the inside of the rotor. This mod allows air to get to both sides. And yes, it does need a hose to the front. The existence of that part on your car doesn't men that it was owned by an idiot.

I was in no way saying whoever did it was an idiot... in fact quite the opposite, I think it's really cool and that's why I posted. I notice you are from Seattle, was he from the seattle area because that's where I bought this car...

Edited by mattster03

katman, who built a number of successful ITS Z cars, described the soup can ducting mod here probably 8 or 10 years ago. The problem is with solid rotors most Z's have the duct hitting just the inside of the rotor. This mod allows air to get to both sides. And yes, it does need a hose to the front. The existence of that part on your car doesn't men that it was owned by an idiot.

Has it been that long ago ....