HybridZ

LED tail lights

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texis300 , you can do this yourself , it's not hard at all , except for the soldering part . You can do this yourself for less than $50 w/o sequential modules . Mine cost a little more , around $100 , because I went a little crazy with my design . :D . I'm looking for a cheap set of tail lights for a different design .

Thanks guys . Now I have to decide what to do with the  back-up lights . Will be using LEDs , of course , but not sure which mode to use when on . My LED dimmer modules can also do 4 or 5 different modes of controlling flashes , or just leave them on when activated .

Pretty Nifty, I hope those work out well for you.  I was thinking I might 3d print some LED holders to fit in my lenses.  I have a ton of those cheap china LED's and they're nice, and the Chinese little controllers work well, but I'm still wondering about the quality and reliability. I know they're not waterproof, but your setup looks pretty cool. I was thinking about maybe getting some plexi and having a reflector pattern engraved with the laser cutter to diffuse the light a bit more.  that's my biggest complaint about the LEDs is just that they're such small points of light.  The large Ebay pucks could be used, but that's a lot of power too. 100W at 12v is about 8 amps each. A diffuser could allow for smaller LEDs to spread the light a little better.  I'll have to play with it.  I love your design at this point.  I'd also like to see how these LEDs look from a distance, say 300 ft vs standard lighting.

Most of the stuff that you buy from here are made in China .  :icon10: . The little controllers are cheap enough , 99 cents , so make sure you buy more than you need . One of mine is bad , kinda , that's why the brake lights have that ramping up effect . New controller fixed it . 

For those who is going to make one , make sure to use LED flasher . You can go cheap and use hazard flasher instead , not load dependent ( very little load ) . I by-passed the flasher , blinks a little too fast for sequential modules  , and because my sequential modules has built-in timer/flasher and using controllers , have flashing mode , for my front LED turn signals . Or you can by-pass the flasher and use controllers ( LEDs only ) for each corner . 

Will post VDO with them on the car later .

Here are the 99 cents controllers .

post-11413-0-85946100-1403292446_thumb.jpg

do you plan on selling these at all like produce them?

Not really . If you've read my thread , they're pretty easy to do ( w/o sequential ) . It would cost less than $50 to do them w/o sequential and MUCH easier . I went a little crazy with mine .  :D . I'll be glad to guide you if you choose to do them , just PM me .

Great job Dom,

That will definitely be a project to add to the list. Also great updating thru the whole process.

I think what would make that last nighttime VDO pop. Is if you added the sound from the light sequence from Close Encounters movie......LOL...... :-D

Just kidding.

Again great job

Daniel