HybridZ

LS air filter location

I had the same concerns. The hood covers it pretty well. Mine is the same and it has been fine. Have raced on days with 4" of standing water on the track and rain so hard I couldn't see the cones. Car ran great. No traction but plenty of power. K&n would have us oil their filters but I never do because I don't want the mess.

I had mine up front like yours (bigger filter)  but Im guessing it caused some sort of turbulance because my Z would start to run real hot. I moved it into the engine compartment, it's now in front of air vent at radiator support and that cured my over heating issues.

This is a before and after shot

Looks great . I just don't like idea of sucking hot air from engine compartment ( hurts HP ) , especially with headers . I would build some kind of block off panels/plates or box .

Ok, I will be the one to point out that small amounts of water like that involved with rain are good for  the motor. Small droplets are no problem

Quoted for truth! Keeps the pistons clean.

The concern for me was somehow scooping a bunch of water up. I have an engine block table that shows what happens when you do that (from a friend).

I used a plastic cutting board and black tape in case of emergencies when I got caught in the rain.

On the growing to-do list is some pre-radiator-support radiator shrouding/frontal area block off that will create some protection of my air filter from rain drops but will preserve the "cold air" effect of being forward of the radiator support. Will get to it sometime in the next two winters.

Air filter vs water - I actually got hit by snow slush one time where it came all the way past the radiator and drowned the air cleaner on my 340 Cuda.  Had to remove the filter element to get home and then hit a puddle a mile from home that drowned the engine.  Fortunately it didn't hydrolock and I was able to start it ok later.

I currently have my filter behind the radiator on the drivers side but I would prefer the colder air in front of the radiator.  I did a studly in college that showed a 100 degree intake air temperature difference is worth about 5% in HP.  If I move mine to in front of the radiator I will probably build a shield in front of it or maybe even an inlet that can generate some inlet pressure with speed - although the same college study showed that the "ram" effect didn't become effective until speeds in excess of 90 MPH.

Edited by Phantom

Mine is forward of the rad, cooler air and drops that IAT at least 50 degrees.  Running a DE one year at WGi during a pretty heavy rainstorm [downpour, typical upstate NY weather pattern] and it cut out a little.  In the 20,000 miles I've now logged since spring 2006 that is the 1 and only time and that was a momentary sputter.  My K&N is oiled but has no shielding.

I currently have my filter behind the radiator on the drivers side but I would prefer the colder air in front of the radiator.  I did a studly in college that showed a 100 degree intake air temperature difference is worth about 5% in HP. 

You are right about that, Bill.  I was reading a book on race car engineering from HPD (Honda Performance Development) and they said the difference between a true cold air intake (taking air from in front of the radiator) and the hot air under the hood was roughly 3% more power with cool air per 1000cc (1 liter), which would be roughly 17-20 HP on most LS powered Zs.  That is well worth it. 

As for the water issue, the only way you'd really get enough water to the filter is to practically submerge the front end enough to actually get enough water through the filter, around the intake and into the cylinders to cause a real problem.  Water injection isn't a bad thing and a little water does wonders in getting the carbon deposits to go away.  I'm running mine up front.

post-505-0-33744000-1400814894_thumb.jpg

Edited by Savage42

Thanks for all the feedback. Savage - I'm assuming you drive yours in the rain? I'll make a sheet metal deflector at some point but I want to fire this thing up soon and get it on the road. Just a little worried about hydrolock if I get stuck in a rain storm.

Am a bit rusty* on S30's but for the S130 the filter is going where the op's second 90 degree bend is located. Probably semi enclose it inside the engine bay, cool air feed through the hole in the radiator support panel. If the filter could be mounted there in a S30 it should be better, fewer bends and not picking up hot air from the radiator too.

* unintended pun, really :)

Edited by 260DET

You are right about that, Bill.  I was reading a book on race car engineering from HPD (Honda Performance Development) and they said the difference between a true cold air intake (taking air from in front of the radiator) and the hot air under the hood was roughly 3% more power with cool air per 1000cc (1 liter), which would be roughly 17-20 HP on most LS powered Zs.  That is well worth it. 

As for the water issue, the only way you'd really get enough water to the filter is to practically submerge the front end enough to actually get enough water through the filter, around the intake and into the cylinders to cause a real problem.  Water injection isn't a bad thing and a little water does wonders in getting the carbon deposits to go away.  I'm running mine up front.

attachicon.gif280Z-06 Pics 275 (Medium).jpg

Gary - most of the Detroit OEM's at the time were claiming a 5% boost in HP with their fresh air intake "shaker" hoods and my tests confirmed that.  This was back in 1970 and I did the testing with my '70 340 'Cuda.  You're right about the water.  In each case with the 'Cuda I got hit will a wall of either slouch or water from a passing vehicle.  The first one soaked the filter and choked the engine.  The second one flooded the engine with water.

Mikey -the worst thing that will happen with an air filter in front of the grill is that it gets hit by a solid wave of water that soaks it and then oxygen starves the motor.  No damage to the motor that way.  You just have to dry the filter out and you're good to go.  Regular rain should not cause any real issues - especially the stuff you'll encounter in Colorado.  I knew lots of guys with them located up front driving them through Gulf Coast frog chokers with no real issues.