HybridZ

VG33 Crank Spacer for Z32 Pulleys

I need a spacer for my VG33 crank and Z32 pulley combo. I will be using eMachineShop to make it. Now, if I just make one it's $80. If I make 5 it's around $100. Anyone else interested in buying one so I can recoup some cost?

They would be about $20 shipped assuming I get 5. More if less, less if more, but you save a lot more than getting one machined yourself (from this place, anyway). More if you wait until after the buy. I will be making this order this week regardless of how many people hop on board, so no lollygagging.

This is needed for anyone running or planning on running a VG33 crank with a Z32 (OE or aftermarket) harmonic balancer/crank pulley.

Here are my drawings so far. I've never designed anything via CAD, but this wasn't exactly a Saturn V rocket:

spacer0_zpsd87f2f4e.png

spacer1_zpse7d1777a.jpg

It's 11mm thick, 52.5mm OD, 32.1 ID, and a roughly 5.2x2.8mm keyway. It will be machined out of 304 Stainless for durability.

Edited by BLOZ UP

If you need it to space the crank damper off the front of the crank, make it from steel. Aluminum will embed and you'll loose the torque on the snout bolt, and the damper will likely come off.

Hardened steel would be safer still, but you could probably get away with unhardened or prehardened-machinable.

If you need it to space the crank damper off the front of the crank, make it from steel. Aluminum will embed and you'll loose the torque on the snout bolt, and the damper will likely come off.

Hardened steel would be safer still, but you could probably get away with unhardened or prehardened-machinable.

Judging from the options I had with the CAD software, 304 wasn't much softer than 4130 (which looked to be the hardest they offered). It's also 10x less expensive.

Also, is the crank bolt supposed to compress the pulley and timing gear against the step in the crank? Or are they supposed to be 'flush' and take up roughly half the torque of the bolt?

So what's the advantage of using this crank pulley/damper/engine combo?

Allows use of OE or aftermarket Z32 underdrive dampers on the VG33. For me specifically, the VG33 (and OE Z32 pulleys for that matter) were too large in diameter, hitting my steering rack.

Edited by BLOZ UP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've received them. Look alright. They ended up being 13.1mm thick instead of 11mm (within 20% 'economy' thickness tolerance), so they will need to be turned down on a lathe. Also the OD is tapered, but this isn't a big deal. The ID is tight and requires some sanding on some of them, but a couple fit fine. The flat edge is flat, however, so they are not bad.

I have four extras. If you want one, $25 shipped. This goes to recoup some of the costs associated with machining them.

I take BTC/LTC/DOGE or Paypal. First come, first served. PM me for details.

IMG_20140623_191145_zpsyfxyuus1.jpg

IMG_20140623_191700_zpsocfps25c.jpg

IMG_20140623_191135_zpsobgru6kx.jpg

Edited by BLOZ UP