HybridZ

Nismo metal headgasket???

Cody 82 ZXT

Ok,

Heres my deal that I've got going on right now. I fianlly got to start my engine after the rebuild and trouble shooting a bad starter soleniod(real pain.) Just a few minuites after getting the car running I noticed that I have coolent seeping out from between the head and the block. I had the head decked but, did not have the block done. the block was checked and I found it to be within spec but, not perfect. I installed a .06m metal head gasket from Nismo dry. Was I supposed to use some sort of sealer? I thought that I had read to install it dry. I also seem to be burning some coolent as the exhaust tailpipe is now a rust color which leads me to think that I have coolent in the cylinders. One cylinder is super clean while the others are dirty. Obviously I have a proublem. Should I pull the head and use a sealer on the metal head gasket or just put it on the shelf and use a stock head gasket to make sure the engine is sealed up good. I was hoping to use the metal head gasket for better sealing at higher cylinder pressures and for alittle higer compression ratio.

I've used 2 new metal gaskets (one was Nissan the other HKS) and put them in dry. I reused one of them and used alot of copper spray and didn't have any problems. They have a thin rubber like coating to seal the imperfections. Is the one you are using the multi-layer steel with the coating?

I don't remember any coating on it. It's not like it was shiney or anything but, no coating like on the factory H.G. I fixed my '87 Prelude SI today so I would have some thing to drive. I just didn't have it in me to take it all apart again so soon. I'll proubly start later this week and I'll post the results.

Is there any brand or type of Copper spray that is better than others?

If it was coaed it is realy thin, almost like it's just sprayed on like paint. Should of been black . As for the copper spray. When I reused my metal HG I used Permatex copper spray, I got it at Checker or Autozone. One more thing. I once installed a regular composite HG for a 240Z on a F54 block and P90 head. There is an extra water passage on the P90 head and the moment I filled it, it leaked. It leaked alot so it was obvious that it was the wrong gasket, I don't know how bad yours was leaking but I thought I would share that.

I've successfully reused my HKS gasket 2 times - after the first head removal the gasket's black rubbery coating was coming off in spots, so I took some Scotchbright discs on a die grinder and removed all the coating until the gasket was clean and shiny on both sides. I sprayed the gasket with two thickish (not runny) coats of Coppercoat (Permatex I think), let it dry to a tacky state, and installed the gasket.

I've had no problems using this technique.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

When I reuse HKS gaskets I spray them with the copper, but I have a fel-pro on my car now and haven't had to pull it off in two years. Am I lucky?

I have also reused the HKS metal headgasket on my the 7m-gte in my 510. I cleaned it completely with acetone and then used the copper gasket sealer on the gasket and the block and head and have had no issues.

Anthony,

'71 510 wagon, '91 Toyota Supra Turbo engine (327 rwhp)