HybridZ

Can you identify this?

Hey guys,

My first post here. I've recently bought a 1973 240Z roller as a project.

The kid I bought from knows little about it, but said that it previously had a V8 in and was used as a drag car. When I got to see the car I discovered that it still had its gearbox etc in. 

Anyone able to shed any light on whether this and the engine mounts are standard? I had planned to RB26 it, however if it's set up for a V8, I'll go that route.

Thanks in advance

Kyle

10252000_10152484504286461_7785007038156

Edited by kyletilley.com

The stock engine mount is still on the cross member (passenger side - only one in the picture).  I don't see any other mounts welded in there from your picture.  The transmission looks like it could be a Datsun tranny, but it's pretty hard to tell from the picture you took...

Nope. But I thought I was maybe being dumb.

All I know is the person who I bought it off said it last had a V8 in and was used as a drag car. This fits with the roll cage and interior.

I'm away this week, but I'll take some more pics when I get back home and drop the gearbox. Any stamps I should be looking for?

I've read that Mopar engines will slide in pretty easily using the stock mounts, with no cutting or welding.  SBC is most common but who knows.  That transmission does look a little like a Z transmission though.  Take a picture of the shifter through the hole in the top if it's exposed.

Well look at it this way, It's pretty stock already. so Whichever you decide, you're likely not going to use that tranny anyway, so just go with one or the other and find a 6 speed to throw in there. you'll be plenty happy.   If cost is at all an issue I'd highly recommend going with Stock L28 or find a V8. the RB's are really nice but so is the price tag.  You'll have plenty of other choices to make, so if this is the toughest, then you're going to have a long road ahead.

There was no V8 in that car, unless they used an adapter to keep the stock Nissan trans that is still in the car, or decided to slide the Nissan tans back in after removing the V8 for some reason.

There are different ways to make the engine mounts, which could use the stock mount pedestals, or something completely different.

The kid probably thought it had a V8, because of the Accel coil and Holley fuel pressure regulator, both of which could be used on most any carburetted engine.

Edited by Six_Shooter

Here's some other pics I have on my laptop.

It's a long term project so I'm in no rush, I'll be working on it as and when racing commitments allow. The more research I do, the more I lean towards a L28ET. Cost isn't really too much of an issue, but it would be nice to keep some element of period about the motor.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

post-45682-0-22653000-1407998152_thumb.jpg

post-45682-0-46494300-1407998159_thumb.jpg

post-45682-0-72375100-1407998163_thumb.jpg

Well I got the car home today! Boy, have I got some work to do. I've always worked on my own cars and have undertaken partial rebuilds etc, but nothing quite like this.... Anyone in the St Louis area fancy helping out in return for beer, pizza and cuddles from an overly affectionate cat?!

As you can see in the first picture the car has a fuel cell, rather than the original tank, and the cage is welded in.

I've attached a pic of the gear lever, does this look stock?

Also attached are pictures the rust... :(

Pharaohabq, thanks, I've already been scouring the for sale section!

post-45682-0-90287000-1408060578_thumb.jpg

post-45682-0-73849600-1408060593_thumb.jpg

post-45682-0-94372800-1408060611_thumb.jpg

post-45682-0-85735400-1408060626_thumb.jpg

post-45682-0-58819200-1408060648_thumb.jpg

post-45682-0-42823100-1408060670_thumb.jpg

Edited by kyletilley.com

From the better front picture that's obviously a Z transmission.  Probably the stock 4 speed.  No signs of V8 occupancy.  Looks like the wiring harness is still intact, that might even be the stock external voltage regulator on the fender well.

Looks like what you have is a pretty much stock Z body that someone has put a roll bar and a fuel cell in. Probably was used for autocross or maybe SCCA racing. Doubt if it was 1/4 mile car with a Z motor & tranny. I agree that the gearshift lever is the right shape for a stock Z gearshift. That can fool you sometimes, though, as my car uses the stock Z shift lever on a T56 with a Hurst shift kit. The Z lever put the handle in the right spot.

Your biggest objective initially is going to be to ensure you take care of the rust and ensure the body is solid. If you're planning on putting some significant HP into the car you must start there. These cars are not all that rigid to start with so you MUST make sure it's solid before you start with the rest.