HybridZ

ABS in a 240Z?

While your plan sounds genius. Surely it must be easier to mount a toothed ring somewhere on the hubs (maybe sandwiched with the rotor?) and use something more flexible like the bosch system. You would want something tuneable as well since stock abs tends to be over excitable. 

Also all you truck guys. The ABS system usually comes on really early when the vehicle is unloaded. Without Normal Force on the rear wheels they dont have much friction so the ABS is quick to "unbreak" all the tires. 

I say have at it. Let use know how it goes. 

While your plan sounds genius. Surely it must be easier to mount a toothed ring somewhere on the hubs (maybe sandwiched with the rotor?) and use something more flexible like the bosch system. You would want something tuneable as well since stock abs tends to be over excitable. 

Also all you truck guys. The ABS system usually comes on really early when the vehicle is unloaded. Without Normal Force on the rear wheels they dont have much friction so the ABS is quick to "unbreak" all the tires. 

I say have at it. Let use know how it goes. 

I've been working towards something like this. The initial plan is to use a hall effect sensor mounted to pickup the bolts on a two piece rotor for the front. My goal is slightly different though, as I'm aiming to give my 280Z traction control.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine would be a track only application.  All the fast M3s we race with use the BMW system and swear by it.

Its a stand-alone off the shelf BMW Computer, pump and actuator all in one box.

There is a vendor that sells a harness for ~$1500 to make it a stand-alone with power / grounds all that is needed.

On  my list for 2017.

Although since I have a 350Z ECU for the VQ motor I might see about the Nissan box which could talk to a Body Module and then have some wheel data into the OBD for my datalogger.

• 8 months later...

I'm on this ABS thing.  I've acquired the M3 Mk60 ABS module, paid for a custom wire harness ($750) and ordered all new brake lines and fittings.

The ABS module will live in the cockpit above my ECU.  Lines will come from the MC (which will eventually be in-cockpit individual MC), then go out to all 4 corners along with the associated sensor wiring.

I will have some trigger wheels made on water-jet, tack on some sensor brackets and wire it all up.

Targeting completion by the end of the year.  I'm not really in a hurry.  Installing the module now, then will run new hard lines from within the cockpit to bulkhead fittings on all four corners, and run the wires at the same time.  Then when I am ready I can swap over the hydraulics to the new system and done.  :) 

post-1894-0-46251400-1501793908_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you're well down the road with the Teves unit then.  I'll be curious to see how that works with slicks.  I was going to suggest another option is the Ford FR500 unit that is programmed for slicks.  Install is very similar but Ford motorsport has a much cheaper harness option.

Cary

I honestly don't know what Teves is haha.  But I know all the M3 guys I race with use this same system in their e36 race cars.   So they put the e46 M3 system in their e36 and e30 cars is what they are doing I think.

At some point having everyone with the same system is handy for troubleshooting and trading parts.

And these guys are all fast fast fast so I trust them and their experience. 

Update: 

I ordered 50' of new 3/16" brake line.  I will make all new lines.

I bought all new fittings from Swagelok (Tubelok) to make bitchin new lines and bulkhead fittings (no flare type).

The mounting bracket is being waterjet cut from .040" Titanium sheet... becuzracecar.

Wiring harness should be done in about a week.

Still targeting 2018 in-service date.

• 1 year later...