HybridZ

early 74 260z (late 73 production), what year steering rack bushings?

Because the 280 and the 260 are similar, incorporating improvements over the original 240Z design.

One such improvement was the quicker steering rack ratio, which had a different set of bushings than the earlier 240Z's.

That's why.

Adding to the conversation here... Yes, another quirk 260Z owners need to know - in this case the Early 260Zs get the 280Z part, not the 240Z.

However, I went though some installation pain when I got a set of 240Z bushings in a 260Z/280Z box from Prothane.  Right box, wrong part.  A set from Hyperflex fixed the issue, but not before I spent a lot of time trying to make them work:

Correct from Hyperflex on the left (260Z/280Z style).  Incorrectly labeled Prothane on the right (240Z style)

IMAG1128_zps7dbb131a.jpg

Edited by Zipper

There is no 'quirk' for the early 260Z's. The rack bushings are for a 260/280Z.

ALL 260Z's use the later 260/280 rack bushings. ONLY the 240's use 240 Bushings. 

This was easier in 1974 when there were only "240 Bushings" and "260 Bushings"... Which, incidentally, is the way it is in the entire rest of the world!

There is no 'quirk' for the early 260Z's. The rack bushings are for a 260/280Z.

ALL 260Z's use the later 260/280 rack bushings. ONLY the 240's use 240 Bushings. 

This was easier in 1974 when there were only "240 Bushings" and "260 Bushings"... Which, incidentally, is the way it is in the entire rest of the world!

No quirks?  Early 260Z owners sometimes need a guide book on parts ordering.  "1974" or "260Z" often won't get you the right thing.  Easy if you've already figured it out, but a puzzle for the uninitiated.

For a given item, it could be:

- Same as the 240Z part (a lot of stuff - like body parts)

- Same as the 280Z part (other things - like steering rack)

- 260Z specific, early or late - L26, ignition, strange fuel pump wiring, etc.

- What Nissan had onhand - OK, I can't swear to this, but I'm suspicious  :P

• Like 1

But the bushings are not a quirk, it's concrete and solid. They went to the L26, they got the different crossmember.

Yeah, there are other things that may be quirky, but the bushings are a rock solid "Late Model" since their introduction.