HybridZ

General carbuerator quetion

BobG

I'm new the driving "older" cars (pre-fuel injection) and have some trouble starting my 72 Z in the morning. I let the fuel pump work for a minute, adjust the choke, then crank the engine, usually to just hear it crank. It takes two or three tries before the engine turns.

Is this usual from a cold start with carbuerators?

Once it gets going, it idles rough for a minute and then runs fine. It seems once it sits overnight and fuel sits still, the Z doesn't enjoy waking up.

Thoughts? Is there something I'm missing or could do differently?

It would be helpful to download an Owner's Manual. Quoting:

"Engine Warm - If the engine is relatively warm, the choke may not be used. Just depress the accelerator pedal down about one-quarter of its full stroke, and turn the ignition key to "START". When the engine starts running under its own power, release the key, It will spring back to the "ON" position automatically."

"Engine Cold (Cold Weather) - With a cold engine, pull out the choke control lever all the way, depress the accelerator pedal slightly, and start the engine. As soon as the engine starts, return the choke control lever in far enough to keep the engine running smoothly. Then push it in all the way when the temperature gauge pointer begins to move toward its normal operating range. Do not drive steadily with the choke control lever pulled out. This may result in excessive fuel consumption."

What this does not say is to release the accelerator pedal to prevent over revving the engine. These instructions were fairly standard for carbureted engines.

Bob, you car is running well. Enjoy it for what it is. Carbs are just nothing like modern cars. It actually takes work, patience and effort to start them and use them until the engine is warmed up.

They are likely out of tune and dirty to some degree, the chokes may not be working quite so perfect, so there is certainly more you could do. Look at ztherapy.com and get their DVD about how to tune them.

It's a "STARTER CIRCUIT" gentlemen, it is NOT a choke.

Two different things altogether.

If you have a 73 or a 74 model, THEY have a "choke".... otherwise you just pull down the jet in the carb well to expose more annulus to engine vacuum and suck up more gasoline under suction dome down, cranking vacuum. If all is adjusted correctly, the throttle plates should open incrementally when the Starter Lever is engaged anyway...and you will get a 1,700 or so fast-idle when it starts.

If you don't have the manifold preheating, and carburettor water circuits enabled, and have plugged them, your cold running and drivability will be markedly worse than on a stock car...for no real performance gain whatsoever.   What a deal, huh?

There is a stick.

We hit people with it.

It is reserved for those who suggest pumping the pedal on a carburettor with no accelerator pump does anything worthwhile except make sure the linkage is free, and returns to origin.

Where is this stick? It's whackin' time!

:twak:

Whackin' Stick is also used on people who don't read their Ford Owner's Manual and pump the accelerator to the floor with the key on, before cranking it....putting it in "flood clear" and repeat it until the battery is dead...

I got that one called into me and was embarrassed explaining it doesn't work like that any more.... and hasn't for some time!

What can you say, everything sucks but Matlock and I still wear an onion on my belt while taking the walking bird out for evening constitutional!