HybridZ

C6 Corvette Oil Pan

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to go the same route. I just scored a new (appears to be new? maybe installed once as a trial fit) C6 oil pan with a new gasket and bolts on craigslist for $200. Came with a new drain plug and low level sender as well. I ordered windage tray, pickup tube, and o-ring from www.improvedracing.com for about $80 shipped.

Got my C6 oil pan, windage tray, and pickup tube. I have 3 dumb questions:

1. Are the windage tray crush nuts on LSX reusable or single use?

2. Which O-ring should I be using: the fat red one with smaller ID or the thin blue one that is closer to stock? I have an f-body LS1 and OEM o-ring that came off the stock pickup tube was blue. 

3. What's the preferred dipstick setup? C6 matching dipstick?

1.  I do believe the are reusable.  Just make sure to use blue loctite on them and torque them to spec.  

2.  Look at the pickup tube that came with the pan.  If the collar the o-ring goes on is tappered (narrower where the o-ring sits) then use the red one.  If it is the same diameter on that collar, use the blue one.  Double and triple check this as you don't want to damage the motor.  Take a picture and post it up and we can help you on here.

3.  I got the matching C6 dipstick for the pan.  I have one for sale.  

Thanks for the reply:

1. I am missing 2 nuts anyway because LS3 windage tray has 10 mount points vs. LS1's 8, so I bought 10 new nuts at the dealer ($1.60 each)

2. The left tube is LS3, right tube is stock f-body:

1QgDJPDh.jpg

left tube diameter at base of taper is 21.3mm, right tube is 22.4mm.  So, I guess red ring it is?

3. I already ordered an LS3 dipstick while ordering the nuts, it was $15. Thanks though!

Edited by auxilary

I'd use the red ring.  I really wish I would have mic'ed mine while it was apart.  Test fit it with the red ring.  Throw some vasoline on the ring and it should fit niec and snug with a tad bit of force.  You will know it's the right size based upon how it "clicks" in.  

Yeah, I did that. I put some fresh oil on it and it slipped in with a thump. I'll stick with the red ring, thanks guys.