HybridZ

Simple exhaust question

After I get my engine running and timed right, I was planning to drive it to a muffler shop to get piping made for the exhaust. However, on zcar.com, I read that

driving without an exhaust, even with just headers, can cook the valves. Is this true?

If so, I will have to tow it or make my own system.

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Owen,

I was told the same thing by several hotrodders long ago before I ever thought of building cars.... The air being sucked back into the combustion chamber is supposedly a bad thing, and can cause the car to lean out (I believe) which causes bad things to happen to your valves.

Someone else here can probably expand on this in greater detail, but the short answer is don't run it long without full exhaust on it.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Back in the old days of leaded gas, quite a few guys ran around with open headers until police stopped them for noise. I never heard of valves being cooked then, but today's fuels may have a different effect. I'll be in the same situation soon(I Hope!), and really didn't think this would be a problem. The shop I will have do my exhaust is 1/2 mile away and maybe a short distance is OK. Anybody who knows for sure is will save us all alot of time and money!

I dont think that you will have any problems.. Look at all the cars at the track

that run upen headers... I ran my car

for a long time without any exhaust

beyond the block hugger headers...My

engine is strong, its just the trannys

that i keep breaking!

Guest Anonymous

I was told that the valves would cool faster after turning the engine off due to the shorter length of the headers which would cause the valves to warp. So when I run open headers I always stuff rags in the collecters after shut off. Who knows if it's true or not?

Before I learned how to weld, I would use flexible tail pipe and cheap mufflers

hung whatever way was easy to get the engine broken in and drive to the exhaust place.

That is what I would do to be able to break in the cam, etc.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@tidalwave.net">pparaska@tidalwave.net -

Or, have the car towed to the muffler shop. They can't check for pin holes etc, but will get you ready to fire off. If you live in a neighborhood like mine, those 2500 rpm, 30 minute, open exhaust cam run-ins, are hell on neighborly relations. Most of the turbo style mufflers still get really loud at anything but idle, and I was still pushing my luck with a muffler! In my younger days, rolleyes.gif used to run around with open exhaust for weeks at a time, never had a problem...that is with the valves! I know we have better metallurgy today.

JS

Owen,

Yesterday I just bought a $70 timing light from sears and it has a dial on it for setting the advance without screwing around with a degree tape... Nice unit.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

heya,

My first choice was to tow mine to the muffler shop. When I mentioned it to my bulider he said not to sweat it. He's 70 and has been in the racing biz for 40 years. He still has a rep as building them strong and dependable. I had no problems with mine. Although, be prepared for the temp needle to ride high on the trip over to the muffler shop.

Just my 2 cents I am NOT a mechanic.